Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

I have a new favourite linux distribution
by Bruce Ure at 09:32 15/09/11 (Blogs::Bruce)
and its name is Mint.
That is all.

--

<< Anyone [with a Mac] looking to RIP Black Cat >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
I have a new favourite linux distribution Bruce Ure - 09:32 15/09/11
Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Steve - 23:09 15/09/11
What's nice about it then?

--
stevepa

Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Bruce Ure - 23:41 15/09/11
It's very friendly, quite polished, and fluid, with top notes of raspberry and a light yet vibrant, almost amusing finish.

BST... It looks really nice and it's a pleasure to use. And it installed flawlessly.

Linux is definitely getting closer all the time to a full-time desktop possibility for me.

Why, you thinking of giving it a whirl? It installs in about 10 minutes flat in a Parallels VM.

--

- Deleted User Account - 00:36 17/09/11
-
Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Bruce Ure - 13:15 17/09/11
lol... Asha refused to go in it today. REFUSED! Like some kind of girl.

--

Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Steve - 11:35 17/09/11
Sounds nice but I don't really have a need for another OS, let alone a Linux one. Mac OSX does the job nicely for me. Every single time in the past when I've played with Linux, I've spent a bit of time trying to get my usual apps installed and working and finding all sorts of limitations that ultimately I just give up and stick with what I know.

Frankly I think desktop Linux is going to be staying in the margins for a bit longer unless they can stop churning out Windows or OSX clones and make it do something remarkably innovative.

--
stevepa

Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Bruce Ure - 13:15 17/09/11
> something remarkably innovative

Like what? Remarkable innovation is a risky route, and many of these Linux distributions can't afford (literally) to lose the support of their fan base, so I think they are wise to stick to releasing versions that are clean, clear, simple, and clutter-free, and look kindalike what we're used to using already, rather than trying to shift paradigms: they should leave that to the likes of Apple.

I've no desire to change OS for its own sake. But the number of apps that require anything other than a browser is dropping fast (especially now that HTML5 is going mental), and there are good Linux alternatives for many of the ones that only run natively. Where there is no alternative, I'd run them on their own platform in a VM, like I do already with a handful of Windows apps. You're not supposed to, but you can also run OSX in a VM.

So when I eventually buy my next desktop PC, I'm hoping I can just build a generic AMD/Intel box from dog-cheap parts and save myself £1000+ on the cost of a similar-spec Mac Pro.

That's my main incentive.

--

Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Steve - 17:05 17/09/11
Makes sense and I do understand. I was really talking about the broader adoption of Linux and why I doubt it'll be anything more than a small % of what folks run as their main OS.

In fact, the "Windows 95" style of desktop OS is slowly becoming obsolete. The Metro and iPad UX are where I think it is going. I'll be surprised if any modern OS is shipping a UX which uses overlapping windows with draggable borders in 10 years from now. They're SO last century.

--
stevepa

Re: I have a new favourite linux distribution Bruce Ure - 18:48 17/09/11
I find it difficult to imagine a desktop UI without those things, but then 10-20 years ago I'd have found it difficult to imagine the stuff we use today.

--