Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

3G iPod ?
by Nic Jackson at 10:41 08/04/04 (Blogs::Nic)
Some thoughts about the ultimate media player.
Call myself a geek, i should be ashamed of myself. Its confession time, not only do i not have broadband at home, i dont even have an internet connection.

In my defence though i do have a wireless laptop, and i get my fix buy surfing from the various public (im not sure if the owners know they are public) hotspots where i live.

But im thinking as cheap as free internet is its a pain in the a~se to get. Quite literally speaking one hotspot which i can get from my flat can only be obtained if i lie on the floor of the spare room, just between the bed and her indoors dressing table facing North East. Prolonged use of this hotspot is dangerous for my health and various injuries have been obtained. Cutting my head on the corner of the bed, and being beat up when i inadvertenly knocked over a bottle of her indoors' favourate perfume.

So i think if im going to do it, im going to do it in style, broadband no sorry broadband is sooo passe.

Im going to get 3G broadband, thats right broadband over the new 3G cellular phone network. Thats internet wherever i can get a mobile phone signal (well provided im inside the M25 at the moment).

Its a little more expensive but just think of the possibilities,

I can read my email sitting in the park,

Multimap is no more than a few keystrokes away so i can find the park (useful if you know my sense of direction)

At last i can telecommute from the pub

I can stream mp3 from my work server whereever i am.

Now this last idea has potential, when 3G mobile phones come out i could create a little java application that would stream MP3 from my archive at home.
I would never have to update my ipod (assuming i own one).
I would only need to carry my phone nothing more.
Limitless possibilities, i could tap into internet radio, or even television.

How cool would that be, provided the phone companies dont stiff us on bandwidth 3G is going to be a geeks dream. Permenant fat connection to all your files.

In theory the technology is possible now i could build the application for my Sony T610, but GPRS is nowhere near fast enough or cheap enough.

3G a waste of money i dont think so.

|| | |||||| |||||||||| || ||||
Nic

<< Zombies and Popular Music Spam or Seti / Oral Sex Pryami... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
3G iPod ? Nic Jackson - 10:41 08/04/04
Consume.net? Simon - 11:19 08/04/04
Have you come across this project? Community based WiFi. I particularly like the conversion of empty Pringles tins into directional WiFi antenna (up to 10Km range, just don't look into the open end of the antenna or you'll microwave your face)

Also, there's the mesh cellular IP networks that are being trialled in the USA (and possibly Cornwall I think)

3G is where it's going to end up for the 'pay as you surf' market (22p to send a picture message? I think not!), but what you really need is an all-pervading network where you can *choose* to pay for as much bandwidth as you need at the time (modem speed - free, 15MB file, 30 mins at modem speeds, or you can pay a quid and get it in 30 seconds). That'll arise out of IPv6 bandwidth negotiation technology, I guess.

I want an iPod with pluggable additional hardware - kind of a lego-based approach. Add ons for GPS, phone, videocamera, etc - HandSpring did something like this, but I don't know how well it worked.

Convergence is going to happen at the handheld level, not the desktop level, in my view (but I'm my own exception to that rule - for instance, I want a TV Tuner and an LCD projector so I can use my laptop instead of my TV. But why limit what you've got on your wall to what's being broadcast is my question - ask us about our "Outside-In" idea sometime)

By the way, how are you fixed this Saturday evening? Time for a get-together round ours? Dave - you reading this too?

--
simon

Re: Consume.net? Nic Jackson - 12:47 08/04/04
Just had a quick look at Consume.net

What a brilliant idea, now if we had a peer to peer wireless network then we could replace the internet and isps.

Im definately going to look into this further, but i do think im going to have to get an external wireless card i cant modify the antena with my built in card.

I agree with pluggable hardware im sick of having 5 things that all carry out the same function.

Saturday evening is good for me, i will look forward to it.

|| | |||||| |||||||||| || ||||
Nic

Wireless card Simon - 13:25 08/04/04
I've got a Belkin 802.11g PCI card hereabouts with an unscrewable aerial, which you could have for a couple of dozen beer tokens if you fancy....

See you at the weekend (if you need a map, let me know).
--
simon

Re: 3G iPod ? David Crowson - 12:04 08/04/04
You wouldn't need the java applet to stream stuff if you broadcast with shoutcast, you'll just need the URL and something to play the music with....

As for sitting in the park surfing, get a life, if I was in the park I wouldn't wanna be doing any computer stuff, it's too risky in this country what with all the chavs around....

--
bombholio