Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Drobo Pro
by Bruce Ure at 09:35 04/06/09 (Blogs::Bruce)
This Drobo (low-level) formats damn fast, what takes it "a while" (read '48 hours') is upsizing itself when you remove a disk and insert a bigger one. During this period it claims to be not protecting your data, which is a bit scary, but I wonder why, if you have dual disk redundacy onswitched, which I do, it can't rebuild its RADI6eyness while maintaining its RADI5eyness until it's finished. Possibly it is and the flashing warning is just a generic 'things are not right' message, but I'm not about to pull out a drive to find out.

I got it (since you ask) because the Thecus 5400 I have has a tendency to just lose disks of a morning. No physical impact, nothing wrong with the disks, just they'd drop out of the RAID at random and it'd have to be rebuilt (also about 48 hours). Only a matter of time before enough dropped out at the same time and bye-bye data. Dodgy drive connectors? Who knows.

--

<< Moonography Section 44 arrest in Chatham H... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 1/06
    Re: Drobo Pro Steve - 2/06
       Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 2/06
             Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 2/06
    Re: Drobo Pro David Crowson - 3/06
       - Deleted User Account - 3/06
          Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 4/06