Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Drobo Pro
by Bruce Ure at 11:23 01/06/09 (Blogs::Bruce)
rocks.

That is all.

--
<< Moonography Section 44 arrest in Chatham H... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 11:23 01/06/09
Re: Drobo Pro Steve - 18:08 02/06/09
So you switched to RAW file format then?

--
stevepa

Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 18:33 02/06/09
lol! Actually since we chatted about that I've been shooting "RAW+JPG (L, Fine)", but have yet to do any side by side comparisons.

I have re-read some of Ken Rockwell's guff about RAW vs JPG and it does seem that many of his arguments are no longer valid--mainly the one about RAW files being camera- and even firmware-specific... er, well DNG has appeared since he wrote that so it's totally invalid now.

I'm not that bothered about the extra size of RAWs either, yes partly cos I've got a Drobo :-) but also, a 16 GB card and an 8 GB spare is enough for a day out... what's that, 800-odd RAW images? I used to take 2 x 36-exp Fujichrome to last me a week :-)

So I guess RAW is where I'll settle, as it does seem to offer the most flexibility, and room for error, at a price of slight extra post-processing maybe.

--

Re: Drobo Pro Steve - 18:39 02/06/09
The only valid reason for shooting JPEG with an SLR is if you want the images to be readily available for viewing on any computer that probably won't have a NEF codec for your particular device. If you're unloading the images to just your workstation then that argument is pretty moot anyway.

Ken Rockwell's opinions are, um, somewhat dubious in my personal opinion. Have you seen his page on aliens? :-)

The D700 won't use 16Gb cards, surely? I was looking at the spec and it maxes out at 8Gb just like the D3. In any case, putting a huge number of valuable images on a single CF card worries me. I'd rather spread them out across several 2Gb or 4Gb cards but that's just me.

--
stevepa

Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 18:43 02/06/09
Oh, it seems fine with a 16GB Kingston card in it. As was the D2X.

Not seen his aliens page but I will have a read!

--

Re: Drobo Pro Steve - 18:52 02/06/09
Oh, you must.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nm/aliens/index.htm

--
stevepa

Re: Drobo Pro David Crowson - 13:47 03/06/09
Nice, not big enough though.
--
bombholio
- Deleted User Account - 21:27 03/06/09
-
Re: Drobo Pro Bruce Ure - 09:35 04/06/09
This Drobo (low-level) formats damn fast, what takes it "a while" (read '48 hours') is upsizing itself when you remove a disk and insert a bigger one. During this period it claims to be not protecting your data, which is a bit scary, but I wonder why, if you have dual disk redundacy onswitched, which I do, it can't rebuild its RADI6eyness while maintaining its RADI5eyness until it's finished. Possibly it is and the flashing warning is just a generic 'things are not right' message, but I'm not about to pull out a drive to find out.

I got it (since you ask) because the Thecus 5400 I have has a tendency to just lose disks of a morning. No physical impact, nothing wrong with the disks, just they'd drop out of the RAID at random and it'd have to be rebuilt (also about 48 hours). Only a matter of time before enough dropped out at the same time and bye-bye data. Dodgy drive connectors? Who knows.

--