Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Bruce's blog
RSS Feed Available
Excellent error messages
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 19:38 07/09/06 | Comments: 2
As one who delights in weird error messages, I have to say this one rates pretty high for me.
'Kittenauth' verification system
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 12:14 27/07/06 | Comments: 9
Now this is cool. (If link breaks try kittenauth.com).
Just a quick note of...
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 06:52 21/07/06
...two quotes I just found.

"Plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens" (unknown, to me anyway)

(The more I see [of] men, the more I admire dogs)

and

"The existence of a limit to science is, however, made clear by its inability to answer childlike elementary questions having to do with first and last things..." -- Peter Medawar (who IIRC wrote a fascinating book about spotted mice and that gene/DNA scenario).

Astonishing saw technology
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 09:26 19/07/06 | Comments: 4
What a wonderful idea. A tablesaw whose blade retracts in less than 5ms after contact with flesh, turning a potential multi-finger-loss scenario into little more than a nick.

It works by putting a small charge on the blade, and detecting when it leaks, whereupon it slams the blade into a stop and its momentum carries it downwards below the table level.

Brilliant.

First of 4 killer asteroid hunters deployed
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 11:58 28/06/06
This wonderful telescopy thing is part of a warning system to detect threatening asteroids bigger than 300M across which approach Earth. (And it will use a 1.2 BILLION pixel camera to do so... drool)
Want!
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 11:01 28/06/06 | Comments: 8
I want this!

It's a Titan 1 ICBM Missile Base.

That's better
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 23:35 19/06/06 | Comments: 5
I just upgraded the RAM in my Mac Mini from 512 measly megs to 2 gutsy gigs, and it made a huge difference.

Which was nice.

The inside of the thing was packed as tight as a laptop, as you'd expect, really. So RAM changing is not a procedure for the faint of heart or the heavy of hand, but with care it's an easy half hour.

Lightroom: image workflow comes of age
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 11:20 14/06/06 | Comments: 6
Adobe's Lightroom is an excellent reason, if there were no others, to get a Mac.
This is amazing
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 13:43 09/06/06 | Comments: 5
You know me, I love my gadgets.
Mac, Take 2
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 10:25 05/06/06 | Comments: 26
Despite my deep-seated belief that Macs are overhyped, overpriced and over here, I have taken the plunge once more by the acquisition of an incredibly sexy Mac Mini.
Why do turds...?
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 13:06 05/05/06 | Comments: 2
I was reminded for some unknown reason recently of this verse Karl made up before he died (well, obviously).
Firefox memory
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 22:58 04/05/06 | Comments: 11
Good grief, I've seen it all now.
Well I'll USB buggered
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 10:25 03/05/06
I've long wondered why if I install certain USB devices on a PC all is fine, but if I then plug them into a different USB socket, they aren't recognised, and Windows goes into its 'Hey, new device!' routine.
in your face, banks
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 12:39 02/05/06 | Comments: 16
i've long held that the admin charges made by banks for late payments, etc, by disorganised individuals like myself were well off the scale of reasonableness, and it now seems such charges where over £12 have been deemed not only unfair but in fact illegal, due to them breaching unfair contract laws. bloody marvellous.

see here.

"Venus Express"??!
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 08:18 11/04/06 | Comments: 1
So what exactly is "Venus Express"?

Is it:

Heath-Robinson chalk-writing bike
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 15:24 29/03/06
Love the technology that's been knocked together to make this push-bike that sprays text messages onto the pavement as it rolls along, in water-soluble chalk.
Dog translator
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 14:54 29/03/06 | Comments: 2
Yes, really.
So they took out the wrong kidney
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 17:07 16/03/06 | Comments: 1
Yes, yes. Stop sniggering at the back.

But why can't they either (a) put it back or (b) transplant a compatible donor one in there?

Lionel Shriver on Drugs
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 17:34 09/03/06
I read this article about drugs, thinking how enlightened it was, then realised it was by Lionel Shriver, author of the incredibly excellent, harrowing novel "We Need To Talk About Kevin" and as such something of a heroine of mine. Now even more of one.
Desperation defined
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 13:08 09/03/06
This tragic story about an American woman who shot herself in the belly on her due date in order to terminate her pregnancy just takes my breath away.
The trouble with Bikes
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 12:11 09/03/06 | Comments: 3
So yesterday I put the Blackbird in to Tippetts for an MoT, prior to selling it to support my hi-fi and other habits. (It sailed through.)
Power stilts
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 18:06 08/03/06 | Comments: 6
Saw these on a TV advert today and a google for "amazing stilts" found them. They seem to be called "Poweriser Fly Jumpers" and they look like some of the best fun you can have without breaking the law.
Linda Smith dies
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 12:20 03/03/06
I'm a bit behind on the news and only just heard that the wonderful Linda Smith has died of ovarian cancer, on Feb 27th, aged 48.
Happy birthday Chica
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 12:20 09/02/06 | Comments: 4
11 today.

Miaow

But is it art?
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 23:53 18/01/06
Make a plaster cast of your testicles.

Instructions on this BBC web site:

http://www.open2.net/labrats/sperm_casts.htm

Powerballs
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 13:46 29/12/05 | Comments: 39
I've mentioned these before, but I've had one to play with for a while now, and I have to say, I love it.
Jamie Oliver
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 20:07 28/12/05
My hat is extremely off to this bloke.
Hot-desking?
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 20:34 14/12/05
I'm not sure whether this is a rather brilliant attention-grabbing ploy (in which case it worked), or the result of over-hasty spellchecking.
Undapants
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 15:49 05/12/05
Fantastic. I thought there were no wry smiles left for me in the world of spam but today I got a piece of spam which is what I'm assuming was a simple probe to establish whether a mail account existed behind an address, and the single line of text in the body was:
And moose
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 17:03 30/11/05 | Comments: 2
Hugo looking not quite as moosesque as I'd hoped.
Jenga
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 16:43 30/11/05 | Comments: 3
Not *quite* convinced it's going to remain stable at that angle, Dave.
Calling Hugo
Bruce Ure [Blogs::Bruce] 14:01 24/11/05 | Comments: 1
I've tried, but I can't find any interesting factoids about 32,294. Best I've done is for half of it, and even that's pushing the boundaries of "interesting".
< Previous 35 | First 35 | Next 35 >