Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Well I'll USB buggered
by Bruce Ure at 10:25 03/05/06 (Blogs::Bruce)
I've long wondered why if I install certain USB devices on a PC all is fine, but if I then plug them into a different USB socket, they aren't recognised, and Windows goes into its 'Hey, new device!' routine.
Much as I wanted it to be something (else) I could bash Windows for, it seems most of the responsibility is down to the USB device manufacturers, who are failing to incorporate (admittedly non-mandatory) USB serial numbers into their products.

A good example is my recently-acquired Garmin Forerunner 305, a GPS device which is a brand new product to market. OK, it's a minor inconvenience to have to plug it into the same socket each time, but not having a USB serial number seems a crass omission given how cheap electronic serial numbering is. The damage this omission may do to the product's reputation amongst people less capable of, or inclined to, working out why it behaves like that could well be far more than the cost of implementing it.

More info, and a discussion, here.

--

<< in your face, banks Firefox memory >>
Printer Version