Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Oh dear.
by Bruce Ure at 06:43 10/06/08 (Blogs::Bruce)
It's cheaper, faster and better (GPS) than I was hoping for (albeit not perfect), and launching several months before I thought it would, it's the new iPhone, available July 11th.
Bye bye $300. And a second mortgage for the talk plan.

--

<< HOW did I manage to Date formats in Apple Numbers >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Oh dear. Bruce Ure - 06:43 10/06/08
Re: Oh dear. Steve - 10:46 10/06/08
I'm very tempted to get one, even if it means paying the data plan myself instead of getting it free. Unfortunately given what I work on, I'd have to keep it out of sight. :-) In fact, probably not a good idea to get one. But... it's just so gorgeous.

--
stevepa

Re: Oh dear. Bruce Ure - 10:51 10/06/08
"Know thine enemy" -- your company should be insisting you use one, I'd have thought.

--

Re: Oh dear. Steve - 10:57 10/06/08
Well, we do have one. But for day-to-day use, we need people dogfooding devices running our own software. There's a big difference between spending time evaluating the competition and using the competition 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. :-)

I have an 16Gb iPod Touch which is fantastic and I have an existing .Mac account which is going to be upgraded to Mobile Me next month so I'll probably plump for the iPod Touch software upgrade. You can get quite a lot of good stuff that way. But what might be the clincher will be this: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSB46553120080609. When that comes out then I'll probably jump.

--
stevepa

Re: Oh dear. Bruce Ure - 11:01 10/06/08
Oooh nice!

My wallet's looking at me pitifully.

--

Re: Oh dear. Steve - 15:05 10/06/08
If you sign up for the £45/mo plan then you can get a free 8Gb iPhone.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/10/o2-offers-free-iphone-3g-with-some-plans/

--
stevepa

- Deleted User Account - 11:52 10/06/08
-
Re: Oh dear. Bruce Ure - 11:57 10/06/08
No but just look at it! You can have SEX with it. You might want an espresso afterwards but shit, find a cafe.

--

Re: Oh dear. David Crowson - 14:42 10/06/08
I was considering an ipod touch, but the new iphone is cheaper !! Thank goodness for timely dutch tax rebates :)

Then there's the dilemma over whether to replace this creaking Macbook Pro with another newer one or get the slightly weazy but much lighter Macbook Air, the reviews don't look too promising but I suspect it'll do what I want...

If only the SD version wasn't so horribly expensive....

--
bombholio

Re: Oh dear. Steve - 15:05 10/06/08
I'm in the exact same position as you. I need a lighter laptop and the Air is probably it but the slow CPU and small hard disk capacity is off-putting.

I'm going to sit tight until rev 2 which should be out later this year or at least by the end of January 09 at the latest.

--
stevepa

- Deleted User Account - 16:47 13/06/08
-