Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Lightroom: image workflow comes of age
by Bruce Ure at 11:20 14/06/06 (Blogs::Bruce)
Adobe's Lightroom is an excellent reason, if there were no others, to get a Mac.
At last, an image workflow processing system designed from the ground up to be exactly that, and even at beta 3 very usable and highly intuitive (much more so than many other Adobe offerings).

A more cynical individual than I might surmise that Adobe's unusual decision to write for Mac first and then follow up with a Windows version was a move designed to deliver Apple's own image management system Aperture a fatal blow before it even reaches adolescence.

With Apple's offering requiring a ludicrous hardware minimum of a gig of RAM and one of a fairly short list of 128 meg minimum NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards, it really doesn't stand a chance. I can't run it on my Mac Mini, for example.

All of which is something of a shame, as two competing products aimed at the same market might cause both to evolve quicker. I just can't see Apple holding their own against such a competent onslaught.

--

<< This is amazing That's better >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Bruce Ure - 11:20 14/06/06
Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Gordon Hundley - 17:47 14/06/06
I'll give the new beta a try at some point, and I fully expect to use it when its released. Aperture is fantasic however, and in the latest version I like its default handling of Nikon RAW better than CS2. I think you're right that Apple are going to get crushed, but I think you've got the wrong reason. Lack of support for motherboard integrated graphics cards really isn't going to be the thing that turns serious photogrpahers away from Aperture.

However, Apple are currenty trying to own the whole process. There's little chance that a third party can build a supported plug-in, there's no chance that somebody can gain access to the RAW transformations outside the application. Adobe are making their process more open, and as with Photoshop, that's what is going to attract power users. Once you've applied a RAW transformation to all or many photos, other plug-ins or applications can work with the photos easily.
--
DrGoon

Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Bruce Ure - 07:05 15/06/06
I didn't realise you were a keen photographer. Is there any of your stuff online?

I confesss to feeling a bit cheated that I can't run Aperture on my Mini, especially as there's 2 gigs of RAM turning up for it today, and it looks as if this Merom upgrade will be feasible (although whether cost-effective is another story).

--

Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Gordon Hundley - 16:47 15/06/06
No, not much - there's a few gig photos at http://homepage.mac.com/drgoon/ - I'm new to this whole DSLR thing.

I must say that I find the Intel graphics included on Minis and MacBooks (as opposed to MacBook Pros, shite naming) a bit disappointing. I was hoping they'd release a notebook smaller than the 15" with decent graphics. Even the otherwise superb Fujitsu Lifebook Q2010 (the size I'm looking for, but not the price) has one of these horrid graphics chips. It has to be an ATI X1600/X1800 or an nVidia Go 7800/7900 folks.

You know what Apple should do? Sell OS X without the trusted computing chip requirement for a premium price - so that people can run it on any PC. Sure, they'd lose some Mac sales from people affluent enough to buy Macs but dishonest enough to steal software, but I suspect they'd gain more from people who'd spend a few hundred bucks on a decent OS for alternative platforms. Like tiny notebooks, or huge ones like the latest Dell 20".

--
DrGoon

Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Bruce Ure - 17:30 16/06/06
This "trusted computing" stuff is scary indeed. Last time I read up on it it was still pretty much being touted as a technology for DRM only but I see it's moved on somewhat!

So won't folk be able to hack it? I mean, Tiger's been hacked to run on x86 hardware, so surely every new version will be as well.

That Lifebook looks extremely sexy..

--

Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Gordon Hundley - 19:37 16/06/06
Yes, you can hack out the TPM kernel and patch utilities that call it. Endlessly. It's just not an option if you want a nice OS that you can keep up to date. Every time somebody hacks it to work, Apple releases a software update, which just so happens to break the TPM hack. Nobody will ever win per se. But it does mean that if you want to use software update rather than downloading enless hacker image files and patches using bittorrent, you need an Apple machine at present. So in that sense, Apple have won in that hacking it for a beige box is only viable for a techie that doesn't care about keeping their software current.

Trusted computing is bad. So bad we'll probably all be forced to use it to access a public network in all Wassenaar signatory counties one day. Meanwhile, if you want to watch the TPM in action, you can use this:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/syscall/

The Lifebook is super sexy (apart from the shitty video) until you see that it costs $5000.
--
DrGoon

Re: Lightroom: image workflow comes of age Bruce Ure - 13:32 29/11/06
And how things change.

The latest Aperture (1.5.1 as I type) supports any old graphics card, and therefore runs on my Mini. Loads of folk out there reckon it's too slow to be usable, but the brief play I've had with it reveals that it's more or less the same, speed-wise, as the latest Lightroom beta (4.1).

At times, there is a spinning beachball, but it isn't there for long.

I would miss the workflow sections of Lightroom if I had to use Aperture.

But I like the way Aperture creates a new image for each adjustment you make to the original, so you can have 'versions' without having to export multiple times.

And the way it uses 'stacks'.

So the jury's out on which of these I'll eventually buy once Lightroom's released.

--