Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Multi-boot orgy
by Bruce Ure at 14:34 23/03/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
So you can run Windows on an Intel Mac with Apple's Boot Camp, and get all the speed and loveliness of running native, should you need it.
And you can run Windows under Parallels, where you have the convenience of not having to boot into another OS but you suffer the performance issues associated with virtualisation, primarily crappy graphics speed and some unsupported graphics modes.

Parallels Transporter will virtualise an existing hardware installation of Windows. You install a piece of software on the Windows installation you want to clone, and another piece on the Mac you want to clone it to, you connect them together, and Stuff Happens. You end up with the same version of Windows on your Mac under Parallels, without having to reinstall any software or anything. Very slick.

Can you see where this is going?

I wonder how long it will be before you can run the same copy of Windows from both Boot Camp AND Parallels.

Boot into native Windows via Boot Camp, make changes, boot into OSX, run Parallels, see the changes.

I can immediately think of a few issues, mainly (and very simplistically) that Parallels doesn't use a 'real' copy of Windows on a real hard disc, it uses some sort of virtual/encoded copy on a virtual hard disc, but I'm sure Parallels could wave their impressive wand to remedy this.

Not that I have ever needed to boot into native Windows on my Mac, but I was just talking to someone who runs games, which obviously don't work under Parallels, and it got me thinking...

--

<< Sovereign Apps One for >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Multi-boot orgy Bruce Ure - 23/03
    Re: Multi-boot orgy Julian Freeman - 26/03
       Re: Multi-boot orgy Julian Freeman - 26/03
          Re: Multi-boot orgy Bruce Ure - 26/03