Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Today I are be mostly...
by Bruce Ure at 11:21 08/01/08 (Blogs::Bruce)
... ordering a bomb-proof phone.
Had it I have with poxy fragile pathetic pieces of shite like the Samsung G600 I was lured into 'upgrading' to the other day in a moment of weakness. On to eBay it goes where I expect it to achieve what I've just paid for the Sonim.

JCB badge the Sonim XP1, also.

--

<< Domestic wind turbines are cra... NUSYSTEMS just made my shitlis... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 11:21 08/01/08
- Deleted User Account - 11:36 08/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 11:47 08/01/08
lol! Actually I'd managed to block 'that product' out of my consciousness so well that that didn't even occur to me.

Order has been duly cancelled.

You know, I quite fancy the Samsung 'Solid' as well, and it's half the price. But it doesn't look quite as much like a Tonka Toy.

In fact, I couldn't really give a shit about any of this. They're only phones, for fuck's sake. I just want a phone that's a fucking phone, and won't break if a moth lands on it.

--

- Deleted User Account - 12:01 08/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Simon - 12:03 08/01/08
I've got a Nokia 3410 here that's been treated pretty harshly and is perfectly fine.

No camera, no video, b/w screen but I only need to recharge it once a fortnight and it appears to convey my voice and text messages reasonably well.

Hardware PR0N is just so passé ;-)
--
simon

Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 12:52 08/01/08
You are right of course.

Partly I'm guilty of needing new stuff in order to feel good (for five minutes). Which is rather sad really. Still, it's getting better.

But mostly, I need bluetooth for the car, so an old 3410 is no good. I did look at the site that sells reconditioned ones, but they are just slightly /too/ primitive.

--

Re: Today I are be mostly... Steve - 13:09 08/01/08
Well, it's that time of the year when the thoughts and fancies of young men turn toward modern hardware. I'm presently nursing a tender semi in anticipation of new toys coming out of next week's MacWorld 2008.

--
stevepa

Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 13:41 08/01/08
> nursing a tender semi

lol!

I s'pose I might get a gen 2 iPhone when they eventually arrive, but to be honest the iPhone hasn't taken me as I thought it might. Which is good, given the cost.

--

Re: Today I are be mostly... Steve - 13:46 08/01/08
Oh, same here. That might change when the next generation comes out. The more integrated with OSX it becomes, the more likely I am to bend over and allow Jobs to have at me with an ungreased pole.

However I'm more interested in the rumours of Macbook replacements. My current Macbook Pro is feeling slightly overweight now that I have the 24" iMac. So I'd be pretty keen to trade it in for a lightweight Macbook as long as the screen was decent. I don't consider myself impressed with the screen quality of the current Macbooks but that might be because they're not glossy.

--
stevepa

Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 14:04 08/01/08
Unfortch, or fortch depending on your viewpoint, I have enough computers for the moment.

My MBP has a glossy screen. It's fab. It's not as good as the screen on my VAIO, but only because it's got fewer pixels for the same size.

I fancy a vast iMac but I don't need one.

I also fancy a pair of 24" 1920x1200 Benq monitors for the Mac Pro, but again, don't really need them.

Want/need. The endless struggle.

--

- Deleted User Account - 17:53 08/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... David Crowson - 16:32 08/01/08
the apple display and dockable mini powerbook look rather spanky...fnnar.

--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 17:48 08/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... David Crowson - 22:42 08/01/08
concur about the V3, it's about as near as beam me up scotty as you can get.

--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 17:02 11/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 17:17 11/01/08
You sound like an advert.

Will it still work if you drive a car over it?

--

- Deleted User Account - 19:48 11/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 20:11 11/01/08
No, I enjoyed reading it, but it dawned on me half way through that perhaps it was c'n'p :-)

I expect there's a lock. My new Sonim (it rocks!) has a press-and-hold key lock, as opposed to the usual menu-star or whatever. Maybe something like that.

--

- Deleted User Account - 12:32 28/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 12:40 28/01/08
Lemme know what the camera's like.

--

- Deleted User Account - 21:59 28/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 06:58 29/01/08
Sounds nice.

I take it that's 8x digital zoom? (i.e. no zoom at all).

--

- Deleted User Account - 08:14 29/01/08
-
Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 08:20 29/01/08
We love Folded Path Optics.

Either I'm going to have to buy a very small digicam to take with me everywhere, or wait for a decent camera in a decent phone. I lurve my new bomb-proof Sonim phone but I am badly missing the camera.

--

Re: Today I are be mostly... David Crowson - 16:31 08/01/08
what would be the odds anyway, if you get an unbreakable phone you'd probably lose it ;-p

--
bombholio

Re: Today I are be mostly... Bruce Ure - 13:32 09/01/08
And the big surprise is that the interface is also rather good.

It's very fast, and intuitive, and uncluttered, and legible, and not trying to be fancy.

--