Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

What's the scam here?
by Bruce Ure at 14:37 04/04/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
I've been getting an increasing number of emails of the "be our agent in the UK and earn cash in your spare time" ilk.
Now usually I can spot a scam a mile off, but some of these actually seem genuine, in as much as I can't spot the scam. I'm wondering whether I'm just being thick, and they are being super-clever, either by design or just sheer luck.

For example one was for a company who manufacture or distribute LCD screen technology. They promised 5% of all orders placed through you. You take the order, pass it on to them, wait for the payment to clear in your bank, then transfer all bar 5% to them.

I can see how that might be a legally sensitive area as regards income tax, but how can it actually be a scam? The money's cleared before you transfer the balance.

Another one I got, today, seems way more suspicious. They are a seafood company, offering a base salary of 60kUSD and 10% of all sales, all of which seems more than a little fishy (arf arf). Who's really going to offer a total stranger 35 grand a year just like that? It seems to good to be true, therefore it probably is.

Is the first company genuine and the second is aping the first in the hope of catching out the unwary, or are they both scams?

I'll try and dig them out and post them as a comment to this.

--

<< One for Upside-down-ternet >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
What's the scam here? Bruce Ure - 14:37 04/04/07
Re: What's the scam here? - LCD company Bruce Ure - 14:47 04/04/07
OK this one's definitely not straight up ("Brought to you by Monster and JobsUK"?? I think not) but where's the scam?

to: krisi@[oneofmydomains].co.uk
date: Mar 28, 2007 1:03 PM
subject: Work from home for international company

Dear recipient,

The leading Hong Kong LCD company, LB Technology, is once again beginning a global campaign of employing new staff in United Kingdom.

Due to our exploding growth, we are further expanding our business to the European region. During our last employment campaign we successfully employed hundreds of Retail Representatives and Couriers. And now we are offering you one more opportunity to earn extra cash working with us.

We are looking for honest, responsible, hard-working people to operate with our company in your particular region. These openings are part-time positions with the opportunity to make GBP300-500 per month working 1-2 hours per day with us.

Please visit our web site LB Technology for more details regarding these vacancies.

Brought to you by Monster and JobsUK.

Re: What's the scam here? - textile company Bruce Ure - 14:52 04/04/07
OK, well again they purport to pay you before you pay them, but why would such a company have a yahoo email address?

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is my pleasure to write you in respect of our Company Owen & Brothers Co., Ltd.This is based at in the Germany.We are experts in the sale of Textile materials; we export into the Canada/America/Australia & Europe.My company produces various clothing materials, batiks, assorted fabrics and traditional costume which we have clients we supply weekly.My clients make payments for our supplies in form of Cashiers check/Money Orders and Money Transfer. So we need a reliable and trustworthy individual in the countries stated. to work as our representative and assist us in processing the payments from our clients.All you need to do is to receive the payments from our clients in your Country, then get it cashed at your bank, you will then deduct your weekly pay which would be 10% of whatever you cash then forward the balance to the company down here via the closest Western Union Outlet close to you.I sincerely hope I can have an irrevocable trust in you on this.So all we need to !
do is to forward your information to our client who will be making money orders payable to you on our behalf.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED YOU CAN SEND US A REPLY MAIL.
We hope to hear from you...............
Regards
George Owen
Manager Director
Owen & Brothers Co. LTD.
Email: textilecompany07@yahoo.com

Re: What's the scam here? - seafood company Bruce Ure - 14:54 04/04/07
60kUSD starting salary... very suspicious.

6 Ed Frimercat,
Dcho 39-40,
08040 PLATEAU, ABIDJAN.
Telephone +225 08515343,Fax +225 21289263
Goodday,

Abaco Fish Limited is a Global Seafood Enterprise based in Cote d' lvoire. Abaco Fish SL has been a company formed by experienced people in the fish industry. Some of them come from centennial companies of the branch, installed for 90 years. Others with 40 years of experience in the international trade of fish and seafood, inclusively having being a principal contributor in the formation and commercial takeoff of Coe d' lvoire, sharpshooting companies. Also we were pioneering in 1971 and 1972 in the product packaging finished for its sale in great surfaces, as they were the first trays of clean sepia, lenguados, and producers of vinegar big hole, etc.

Originally starting out in the Food Additive Industry, the company became swiftly involved in plenty of other segments and is continuously adopting new challenges. Besides the trading business, it has identified the necessity to offer special services to Western companies that wish to engage themselves into activities in Cote d' lvoire, but do not have the rights contacts, language abilities and/or time to get this accomplished themselves.

It is upon this note that we are writing you to seek your assistance in representing our company in your locality as our Regional Manager. Note that as a regional manager of our company, you will be entitled to a basic salary of $60,000 United States Dollars a year and 5% bonus of any amount you receive from customers on behalf of the company as payments for sales and outstanding debts on goods that they buy.
As a regional manager of our company, your primary functions are as follows:
1. Maintanance of a sales office. The company will be responsible for all costs including phone and other expenses, and the setting up of the office in your region.
2. Assume responsibility for all sales office.
3. Lastly, contacting clients on behalf of the company who are ready to make payments or wanting to pay for products they purchase from the company.
To facilitate this transaction if accepted, do send us promptly, the following:
1. Your Full Names
2. Present Occupation/Position
3. Contact address
4. Telephone number,Fax and e-mail contact.
5. Age.

Thanks for your time and anticipation to work with Abaco Ltd.
Sincerely Yours,
jean Parkins

- Deleted User Account - 20:42 04/04/07
-
Re: What's the scam here? Simon - 09:52 05/04/07
Sounds like a variation on the 419 scam to me.

For fun, mail one back from a disposable email address and ask to see the contract you'd be agreeing to.

--
simon