Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Mac Pro crashes
by Bruce Ure at 08:25 22/02/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
Well so much for reliable. My Mac Pro isn't.
I'm getting increasingly concerned about how often I get the slowly-descending Grey Curtain Of Death.

I love the fact that where Windows gives you a nasty raw unintelligible text-mode screen dump when it curls up its toes with the famous Blue Screen of Death, Apple's GCOD is in a lovely animated anti-aliased drop-shadowed graphic style. Fantastic! It even crashes beautifully.

I'd rather it didn't fucking crash, though.

So is it the RAM I put in? It's supposed to be 100% compatible (although the RAM specs are particularly stringent for the Mac Pro, so perhaps the definition of 'compatible' has been stretched by the retailers or manufacturers). A dodgy CPU? Over-temperature? A bad bit of software?

Until this morning, when the damn thing was cold and silent having thrown in the towel some time overnight, I suspected Parallels, since it has definitely caused real-time crashes when I've tried to use the USB functionality. But I'm not so convinced any more, given that Parallels wasn't running last night. Then again, some reports I've read say that Parallels screws the machine up so badly it won't boot again properly until booted into safe mode and Parallels is uninstalled. So perhaps it is that. It's certainly time to consider switching to VMWare's version of Parallels (Fusion) to see if it's less unstable (albeit still in beta).

I started running Apple's temperature monitor a few weeks ago (I was expecting 3 or 4 sensors... there are 23) and nothing is too hot.

In any case, the 20-odd times I've had to restart the damn box in the last 2 months or so underline the fact that when it all comes down to it, any platform can be as infuriating as any other.

--

<< Basic phones My namesake in Texas >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Mac Pro crashes Bruce Ure - 08:25 22/02/07
- Deleted User Account - 10:52 22/02/07
-
Re: Mac Pro crashes Simon - 11:35 22/02/07
Is this one you've hacked about and put a bigger disk in or was that the mini?

Try re-seating the RAM. If it boots, even once, then your RAM's acceptable. Where did it come from?

It's probably software-related - have you tried checking the console logs to see if there's anything in there?

--
simon

Re: Mac Pro crashes Bruce Ure - 13:20 22/02/07
That was the mini -- which was reinstated to a Mini because the whole thing was too physically fragile, and I acquired the Pro so the need went away.

The RAM came from funkygiraffe on eBay, he has 99.4% / 6,371 and there's no doubt it's genuine RAM.

The only ways in which the Pro is fucked about are: the swapping of the standard system disc for a 10kRPM one; the addition of 3 extra 500gig drives; the addition of 3 gigs of RAM.

The RAM booted fine first time. It always boots, but quite often goes straight into the GCOD after restarting. Usually the GCOD is caused by Parallels.

One of the memory modules gets marginally hotter than the other, but it would almost be strange if it didn't. It's slightly concerningly hot (80 Celsius) but Kingston's web site doesn't provide any temperature specs, unbelievably.

I'll check the console logs, once I work out how ;-)

But... software related?? I thought modern operating systems were supposed to be resilient to such things.

--

- Deleted User Account - 13:45 22/02/07
-
Re: Mac Pro crashes Bruce Ure - 14:36 22/02/07
Yeah, trouble is over here they'll be double that price.

I have considered heatsinking them myself but he listed them as "KINGSTON 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 FULLY BUFFERED MAC PRO" so I'll get back to him in the first instance if I do suspect them to be the culprit. Currently I'm looking slanty-eyed at Parallels and stroking my machete.

--

Re: Mac Pro crashes Simon - 16:20 22/02/07
A kernel panic's a kernel panic - it's so low level as to be fatal.

I'd be tempted to remove the RAM in stages and see if the problem goes away ("Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer doooooooo....")

There's an app called 'Console' in your Utilities folder, for inspecting system logs. Check ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/* and /Library/Logs/panic.log
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 16:47 22/02/07
-
Re: Mac Pro crashes Simon - 17:08 22/02/07
Confirmed.
--
simon
Re: Mac Pro crashes Steve - 20:41 22/02/07
The vast majority of crashes of these nature are one of two types: hardware or faulty device drivers. And the latter generally only manifests with pre-release stuff such as Leopard builds or low level stuff like haxies or non-Apple device drivers.

I'd bet a pint of the creamy stuff that it's hardware.

Check your cooling and the internal temperature. There are utilities out there for that.

Make sure your RAM is adequately seated. Chips that come loose are a prime cause of these sorts of problems. Also check cabling.

If you've replaced your RAM, check it is compatible.

Get a system test utility that runs low level diagnostics and leave it running overnight. Make sure it creates and flushes a log file.

Do a Google search for kindred spirits and learn from the path they've trodden.

--
stevepa

- Deleted User Account - 22:07 22/02/07
-
Re: Mac Pro crashes - mystery solved Bruce Ure - 12:41 23/02/07
Well here it is.

Just now Asha was watching a video on the Mini next door, streaming it from my Mac Pro, while I was doing some work on my laptop.

Suddenly a shout of "DAD! Why's it paused? I didn't pause it!", and Lo! There was no more Harry Potter.

I wiggled the mouse so the Pro would come back to life, and as the monitor awoke the GCOD revealed itself. Bloody marvellous, I thought.

So I take the side off, reseat all the RAM modules, swap the banks over for good measure, take all the discs out and push them back in (I love the engineering on this thing), and restart.

Bang. GCOD.

So I restart again.

Bang. GCOD.

So I look up how to do a safe boot, and do one.

Blissful silence. No GCOD.

So I check the console logs, and find numerous references to "ParallelsConnectUSB".

Splock. The dropping of a penny. Moments before the scream from Asha, I'd plugged my phone in to the USB socket on the front of the Pro to charge up.

So, blame fairly and squarely at Parallels' feet, I feel.

How to uninstall? I've made a backup of the VM in case I remember there's stuff there I need, but dragging the Parallels folder into the Trash still leaves loads of droppings everywhere... like Preferences and Library. Is there a standard way to "destroy all evidence" of a program once you've fallen out of love with it?

Thank you, wonderful technical folk, for your help, all much appreciated as usual.

--

Re: Mac Pro crashes - mystery solved Simon - 13:52 23/02/07
Dunno how Parallels is installed - if it came as a package file with an installer then there should be an uninstall option if you re-run the installer again.

Check /Library/Receipts and see if there's anything Parallels related in there.

If it was drag and drop from a disk image, you'll probably have to find the bits and fish them out by hand - if you care, and generally I don't.

--
simon

Re: Mac Pro crashes - mystery solved Simon - 13:54 23/02/07
Ah, see also:

http://forum.parallels.com/archive/index.php/t-140.html
--
simon

Re: Mac Pro crashes - mystery solved Steve - 19:05 23/02/07
So I guess I owe you a pint of the creamy stuff now...

--
stevepa