Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Mac daftness
by Bruce Ure at 10:53 23/01/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
OK, it's a bit of an inflammatory title, but it's another Finder annoyance and it'll be interesting to see if it's just me.
Go to a Finder window in List or Column mode.

Click on a file about half way down the listing.

Hold Shift and press the down-arrow a few times. Selection extends downwards, great.

Now whilst continuing to hold Shift, press the Up arrow.

Selection EXTENDS UPWARDS from the originally-clicked file, rather than DE-SELECTING the most recently selected of the files at the bottom of the list.

So when I'm selecting more than a screen's height of files, I can quickly auto-scroll from top to bottom, over-shoot by one or two, but then can't remove the overshot ones, because pressing UP selects more, going the other way.

I think it's totally daft, and counter-intuitive.

Or is it just another of those things that's only annoying if it works counter to what you're used to?

--

<< Burger King smashed up - video... Scan Computers just made my sh... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 10:53 23/01/07
Re: Mac daftness Steve - 11:29 23/01/07
If you're coming from the Windows world then, yes, it's counter intuitive.

But that's how it has worked as long as I can remember.

Have you looked at Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com/pf4/) to see if that works better for you?

--
stevepa

Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 11:50 23/01/07
Yebbut that's money, innit :-) And it's cheating.

There's nothing I've found in Finder that I can't work around, just a few niggles, which I'm getting used to.

I'm not sure I'll ever see this particular example as 'intuitive', though.

--

Re: Mac daftness Steve - 11:53 23/01/07
Be interesting to see what changes to Finder, if any, happen in 10.5.

--
stevepa

Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 12:03 23/01/07
Yes, please lawd, let them have done stuff. Although personally I think they'll not have done much to it.

--

Re: Mac daftness David Crowson - 11:55 23/01/07
if you´ve overshot your selection you can always unselect the extra ones with apple-click.....

--
bombholio

Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 12:02 23/01/07
I know, but if I'm in full keyboard swing, that's gonna irritate.

--

- Deleted User Account - 12:09 23/01/07
-
Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 12:20 23/01/07
lol, no, that died when I realised I didn't believe much of it any more, I'd lost that passionate feeling.

It might be worth running it for a laugh, but it would require time to keep updated -- time that can only come from feeling passionate about something.

So there it sits, decaying.

--

- Deleted User Account - 14:18 23/01/07
-
Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 14:24 23/01/07
You'd better hurry, I've only got 999,999 left ;-)

--

Re: Mac daftness Steve - 15:16 23/01/07
Which reminds me, I've got an Apple ADC T-shirt as part of my ADC Select kit but it's size XL and I'm a fit and trim size M, so it's too big for me. I'll probably bring it to the dinner and give it free to the first person who can guess how many fingers I'm holding up.

--
stevepa

Re: Mac daftness Bruce Ure - 15:18 23/01/07
oooh, ooh, is it 1? 2? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8?

--

Re: Mac daftness David Crowson - 15:52 23/01/07
2 in a reverse Churchill style, I shall bring a bag to take it home with :)
--
bombholio
Re: Mac daftness Julian Freeman - 15:36 24/01/07
I think it's zero, but due to a Pentium rounding error that comes out as -1 now.
--
Julian