Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

in your face, banks
by Bruce Ure at 12:39 02/05/06 (Blogs::Bruce)
i've long held that the admin charges made by banks for late payments, etc, by disorganised individuals like myself were well off the scale of reasonableness, and it now seems such charges where over £12 have been deemed not only unfair but in fact illegal, due to them breaching unfair contract laws. bloody marvellous.

see here.

--
[left shift broken, right shift almost impossible to use]
<< "Venus Express"??! Well I'll USB buggered >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
in your face, banks Bruce Ure - 12:39 02/05/06
Re: in your face, banks David Crowson - 14:48 02/05/06
hehe, in your eye Capitol One :)
--
bombholio
- Deleted User Account - 15:14 02/05/06
-
- Deleted User Account - 15:14 02/05/06
-
- Deleted User Account - 15:17 02/05/06
-
- Deleted User Account - 12:19 11/05/06
-
Re: in your face, banks Bruce Ure - 12:44 11/05/06
Well, check that link, it's pretty clear and from a reputable source.

Less reputable I may be, but I also distinctly and 100% remember from a radio 4 programme (probably The Money Programme) that you would be able to claim retrospective reimbursements (for amounts above 12 quid) for charges made in the last x years. I think x was 6, but I'm not totally clear about that.

The point they seem to be missing is that the contract, which you did indeed sign, has been deemed ILLEGAL. So yes, you signed, but now they have to reimburse you some because their charges were unreasonable and the law says so: "Charges for late payments on credit cards, typically £20-£25, were yesterday declared illegal by the Office of Fair Trading, which ordered banks to slash fees to a maximum of £12 - and cut charges for bounced cheques and unauthorised overdrafts to similar levels. The ruling sent shockwaves through the banking industry, which earns £2bn in revenue from penalty charges, and wiped millions off the value of shares in Britain's high street banks."

So do some research, and write them a letter quoting your references and asking them to comply.

If they still don't play ball, write to the banking ombudsman.

--

Re: in your face, banks David Crowson - 12:49 11/05/06
and keep us up-to-date on the progress.

If I can claim the charges that CO have had out of me over the last several years I think that's a new motobike :)
--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 12:54 11/05/06
-
Re: in your face, banks Bruce Ure - 12:58 11/05/06
Why not call the Office of Fair Trading to get the definitive answer, before you risk getting bits wrong? They must be well up to speed on queries to do with this by now. They might even have a standard letter format.

--

- Deleted User Account - 13:12 11/05/06
-
Re: in your face, banks Bruce Ure - 13:20 11/05/06
Yebbut they're not gonna suddenly overturn the OFT's decision are they. All they can do is throw their toys about a bit.

I think (it's hard to tell from the published info) that they have until 31st May to decide whether to fall into line with the OFT's ruling, or carry on regardless, in which case they will most likely face litigation, then enforcement.

Either way, we win and they lose. You might just have to wait a touch longer is all.

--

- Deleted User Account - 14:38 11/05/06
-
Re: in your face, banks David Crowson - 14:43 11/05/06
Hmm, maybe you should write to them , get the same reply then send it to the newspapers. A bit of bad publicity goes a long way.....

--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 14:44 11/05/06
-
- Deleted User Account - 15:42 24/07/06
-
Re: in your face, banks David Crowson - 16:42 24/07/06
I'm starting to lose my patience with CO also.
I phoned them and told them that I work abroad and I travel back once a month to pay bills, usually the week after they expect payment. They said, OK we'll make a note and stop charging you for lates, have they, yes they've made a note, E -Flat I believe, and continued with the charges..Grrrrrr

--
bombholio