Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Good grief
by Bruce Ure at 16:37 10/12/04 (Blogs::Bruce)
What on earth have I let myself in for?
:bu:
<< Fantastic days Aaaaaaargh >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Good grief Bruce Ure - 16:37 10/12/04
Re: Good grief Steve - 04:16 11/12/04
That's great! I'm sure you'll do well.

Did you know that Paul Wakeford also runs marathons? (Unfortunately I think he'll be in Sydney by then.)

Re: Good grief Hugo van der Sanden - 07:34 11/12/04
There you go then Bruce, as soon as you can run to Sydney you'll be as good as Paul.

Hugo

Re: Good grief Paul Wakeford - 23:30 19/12/04
I ran one in 2003 and said 'never again'. So far it's a promise to myself that I've kept.

--
pw1
[wot no two character usernames, pah!]

Re: Good grief Bruce Ure - 16:00 21/12/04
Was it really that bad? What made you decide that you weren't going to do it again?

Re: Good grief Paul Wakeford - 00:31 22/12/04
The undescribable feeling near the finish line when (for me) you had been on the move for 4+hours, had been thinking about the sacrifices for you and your family, the training, etc. For thr last mile or so I was thinking about it all and was nearly in tears (and I *never* cry - dead relatives, divorces, the lot).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did it - as a personal challenge (I didn't do it for charity), but I'm glad I've done it and can move on to something (or nothing) else now.

Please don't let me put you off. Something like this is, I think, something everyone should do at some time in their life. Get out of the comfort zone.

To be honest I have been tempted to do it again - because the time I did wasn't close to what I wanted to do. Sadly since then I've rediscovered food, beer, gin etc so it's still just a dream.

--
pw1

Re: Good grief Bruce Ure - 06:31 22/12/04
Did you run the whole lot or did you have to stop?

Which leads me to... how long did you train for?

Re: Good grief Paul Wakeford - 09:03 22/12/04
I ran for three hours - by that time it was the second lap (it was a 2 lap course) and going up the same hill again was just too much so had to walk on and off then.

I trained 'properly' for about 5 months I guess but started running about a year before I did the marathon.

--
pw1

Re: Good grief Bruce Ure - 09:53 22/12/04
Oh dear! I started 3 weeks ago, and so far have had to stop because of two separate injuries, one running-related and one not, so I'm not hopeful of being able to run the whole course. If I can finish in 6 hours I'll be overjoyed.