Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Error message
by Bruce Ure at 12:17 14/09/04 (Blogs::Bruce)
Nice work.

:bu:

Attachments...
GIF image (8 K) Error message
<< So I created this document, Axes >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Error message Bruce Ure - 12:17 14/09/04
Re: Error message David Crowson - 12:40 14/09/04
That's a SQL*Net error, there's something wrong with your tnsnames.ora or sqlnet.ora

--
bombholio

Re: Error message David Crowson - 12:42 14/09/04
The text in question being

'TNS:could not resolve service name'

so it's making a call to an Oracle SId that does not exist in your tnsname.ora
--
bombholio

Re: Error message David Crowson - 12:43 14/09/04
and as it couldn't retrieve the message the oracle install your using (the client) is corrupt...probably missing some .msb files

--
bombholio

Re: Error message David Crowson - 13:16 14/09/04
or exists in your tnsnames.ora but does not exist in the listener.ora on the server...due to not existing or being called something else iyswim

--
bombholio

Re: Error message Bruce Ure - 14:04 14/09/04
I was just tickled by the error message... but since you;re here... :)

Yesterday a colleague tried installing the same Oracle client I've got on my machine, from the same installation medium (a network drive) onto the same NT standard build.

I scoffed as she described how it didn't work, and mocked as we ran the installation on both machines simultaneously to identify any differences. Afterwards I was a concentrated ball of confidence as I logged in... and got the same error message as her.

Since then, some four hours ago, I've developed this sore, bloody patch on my forehead.

I've got a TNSNAMES.ORA that has three entries that have always worked. It's the only tnsnames.ora on my path, indeed on my system. I've eliminated all evidence of Oracle from the hard drives and registry and installed it again. I've had an Oracle "expert" look at it remotely for over an hour before giving up. I've sacrificed a virgin and three sheep. And still I get that 12154 error.

Ugh.

Re: Error message David Crowson - 14:13 14/09/04
Open a Dos prompt

ping the machine if that works
tnsping the SID

then tell me what you get....

--
bombholio

Re: Error message Bruce Ure - 14:12 14/09/04

M:\>tnsping [myserver].eu.[mycompany].com

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 14-SEP-2004 13:09:48

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

M:\>

Re: Error message David Crowson - 14:14 14/09/04
OK , can you ping the machine.

Try changing the entry in the tnsnames.ora from the hostname to to ip adress and tnsping again.

--
bombholio

Re: Error message Bruce Ure - 15:18 14/09/04
Panic over. sqlnet.ora had this in it:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

which on removing, all seems to be fine. Whether there is now any security left at all, I neither know nor care.

So much for our in-house Oracle "expert" :-/

Dave, as always, your help is appreciated. beers_owed++

Re: Error message David Crowson - 15:40 14/09/04
a plezeer :)

--
bombholio