Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster
Re: regex assistance
by Hugo van der Sanden at 13:32 10/06/07 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
The trouble with examples is that there are so many ways to read them.

It could be: get the chunk of text inside each <tag>...</tag>. Split the chunks into two lists, those before and those after the literal text 'tum-te-tum-te-tum'.

Or it could be: get the (exactly) 5 chunks of text in <tag>...</tag>, and put 3 in one array and 2 in another.

Or many other things, perhaps involving 'blah' and 'foo' and 'bar'.

I don't know PHP, but in perl I probably wouldn't try to extract the info for the first of those definitions in one pattern, but something like:

my($head, $tail) = split $text, m{tum-te-tum-te-tum}, 2;
my @array1 = ($head =~ m{<tag>(.*?)</tag>}g);
my @array2 = ($tail =~ m{<tag>(.*?)</tag>}g);

In general though, coming up with a clear definition of what you need to match is about 90% of the work in writing the code. The other 10% is effectively a translation exercise.


<< scp, sftp, etc... Anyone know of a solution to >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
regex assistance Graham Freeman - 8/06
    Re: regex assistance Graham Freeman - 8/06
       Re: regex assistance Hugo van der Sanden - 10/06
    Re: regex assistance Bruce Ure - 8/06
       Re: regex assistance Graham Freeman - 8/06