Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Whats it all about
by Nic Jackson at 10:36 26/04/04 (Forum::Mobile Technologies)
Group Introduction.
The intention of this forums is mainly to discuss the technical areas revolving mobile communications.

Specifically the purpose of this forum (at present) is to discuss the open source implementation of the WAP 209 MMS Encapsulation Format as defined by OMA.

Development in the mobile communications arena appears to be mainly focused on the Java platform. For two reasons mainly the J2ME framework is bloody good and most of the specifications appear to be open source so it makes sense to use an platform independant language to code them.

This means that there are some great API's for creating MMS messages, and other mobile standards. But i believe that technology should be accessible and for the most of us Java platform is not accessible. I certainly couldnt affor a hobby site running on a Servlets powered server.

This combined to the fact that im a C# coder not Java and mightly p#ssed of that i have to do some work for a change : )

So i decided to take it upon myself to decode the MMS spec and create an accesible .NET API.

C# is no longer a windows only operating system it is trully open source and platform independant now (Read my blog rant about Mono). This project will be compiled and tested on both Windows and Mono.

I hope that even if you are not intersted in C# but you are interested in MMS 209 then this forum will help. Even if at the very least to help you decode the wacky content length encoding :)

|| | |||||| |||||||||| || ||||
Nic

Current Project State >>
Printer Version