Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Mac stuff
by David Crowson at 00:04 24/11/06 (Blogs::Dave)
moved to here lest Steve get annoyed with me filling his blog with Mac newbie crap :)

What is genius is the magnetically attached power charging lead. All they need do now is remove the wire and it'd be perfect ;-p

--
bombholio
<< Your Name Torchwood 3 >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Mac stuff David Crowson - 00:04 24/11/06
Re: Mac stuff Simon - 00:21 24/11/06
I can tell you're impressed :-)

Remember this wow factor, and all the small things that you've noticed, because there will be - inevitably - the occasional thing that will annoy you too.

As for telling iTunes where the library is:

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 00:35 24/11/06
Itunes sorted....

that was easier than I'd hoped...

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Nic Jackson - 14:51 25/11/06
My god have you finally gone and bought yourself a computer with a decent operating system at last ?

If you have and have the odd need to run that old Windoze thingy then i recommend Parallels virtual machine. It runs windows on top of OSX beautifully.

|| | |||||| |||||||||| || ||||
Nic

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 16:08 25/11/06
:) already using it ta....

just waiting on world of warcraft to finish dling...

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Nic Jackson - 16:16 25/11/06
I love WOW, been playing it for nearly a year now.

Set up your character on the European server Executus, thats where i have my char a Horde Priest FatherJack <drink>.

Ive only managed a poor lvl 43 in all the time ive played but I do have lots of gold and help for low level characters.

Remember the Horde kick ass and the Aliance are a big bunch of girly girls.

Nic

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 18:09 25/11/06
have you seen the South Park Episode, soo funny.

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Nic Jackson - 18:11 25/11/06
Not yet must remember to watch it its on utube I think
Nic
Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 20:59 26/11/06
well so far I'm fairly pleased with the switch to mac and am left with the feeling "why didn't I do this sooner".

There are some niggles, but like TVR ownership, worth putting up with for the end result. (for instance, why is the eject button so close to the backspace/delete button, guess I'll have to be more careful editing stuff :)

BTW Ipod shuffles are 46 ukp in the airport duty free shops, too much of a temptation, so I got one. It's the sexiest , tiniest aluminum gadget I have. Pure lovliness.

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 09:46 27/11/06
>"why didn't I do this sooner"

... there was an earthquake, a terrible flood, etc.
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 11:24 27/11/06
:)

Couple of questions

1) Is there any setting that lets me merge directories with same name. I donīt want to replace , which seems the only choice given..bloody annoying it is too.

2) How do I maximize an app, maximize doesnīt seem to do anything other than make the app smaller ?

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Bruce Ure - 11:29 27/11/06
1) Not that I know of, and yes it is bloody annoying.

2) You have to drag it to max size using the bottom right hand corner. No, I can't believe it either.

--

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 11:33 27/11/06
thatīs very poor then.

Iīm currently rebuilding my music archive after a disk went pop. This involves a huge amount of merging of directory structures.

So itīll be a lot quicker then if I
1)unplug the disk with archive
2) plug it into a windows laptop
3) do 1 drag operation for the whole thing (rather than about 15000 separate copy and del operations on the mac)

That sucks.No, really, that really really sucks.

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Bruce Ure - 11:40 27/11/06
This added to a whole load of other irritations are why I first lost it with Macs and my first attempt at switching failed.

My subsequent (current) attempt is making much better progress. You learn to work around the irritations. In this case, you're doing what I would have done as well. Previously, it would have bugged the shit out of me. Now, I just shrug and/or swear and get on with it. All OSs are annoying sometimes.

I vaguely recall Simon finding this irritating as well... I wonder if he is about to pop up with a workaround.

--

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 11:50 27/11/06
See my last for a workaround :)

It's got a command line too, you know.
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 14:41 27/11/06
Besides rsysnc ,there is a tool to do this in the GUI.....

FileMerge or possibly PathFinder
--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 15:04 27/11/06
so are there any other apps I should install/are must haves ?

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 15:34 27/11/06
Google Earth, of course.

Chicken of the VNC, TextWrangler, SMARTReporter (monitors your disk health) and maybe 'X-Chat Aqua' if Chatzilla's not your thing.

--
simon

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 11:49 27/11/06
$ rsync -avz dir1/ dir2/

... or something very similar.

(edit: not x, z)
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 11:56 27/11/06
command line was the first port of call when the GUI got all replacey or stop on me,i tried using mv and cp, but that just threw a wobbly cos there were files already in the directory, heaven forbid :)

Will give that a go when I get home....
--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 14:00 27/11/06
Lots of options for rsync, so be sure to look at the man page.

I use it all over the place in crons to sync up various things, but never frequently enough interactively to remember the syntax off the top of my head.
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 11:48 27/11/06
No in-built setting for directory merge - it's a critical difference between Macs and Windows. There are bound to be utilities around though.

The red/yellow/green traffic lights take getting used to. The green is more 'back to where I last set you' than 'maximise' - so try stretching the window to how you want it, and then click the green again. You'll suss it :)
--
simon

Sex on a stick David Crowson - 23:07 28/11/06
is my new shiny thing (the big one , not the ickle one which is in itself sex, but not on a stick its that small:), it's now running VirtueDesktops and Parallels with a copy of XP SP2 that runs quicker than on my old laptop....which is nice.
I can switch between virtual screens or virtual machines with a random effect.Damn who needs TV,screen savers , or a life, I could do this all day :)

But I still wish i could merge ;-p

--
bombholio

Re: Sex on a stick Bruce Ure - 07:45 29/11/06
I just discovered

defaults com.apple.dock pinning start
killall Dock

and

defaults com.apple.dock pinning end
killall Dock

which anchor your dock left or right, top or bottom, depending if it's positioned horizontal or vertical. Makes much more sense to me... why have it grow annoyingingly in both directions every time you start/stop/activate apps, when you can have it grow in just one?

Muscle memory is all.

--

Changing Your Spots David Crowson - 08:58 30/11/06
So 3 days of staying up past 3am later and I have a system I think I like, then the landlord whispers in my ear
"Hey Sonny, try this here leopard install disk"

4am. Iīm very tired now as several hours and 3 install attempts later itīs (Leopard MacOSX 10.5) running, which is more than can say for Virtue Desktops which isnīt . Neither is an attempted downgrading back to Tiger, so unless I feel like vaping the wjole disk Iīm stuck with spots for a while (Spaces is nearly as good as Virtue)

--
bombholio

Changing Your Spots David Crowson - 08:58 30/11/06
So 3 days of staying up past 3am later and I have a system I think I like, then the landlord whispers in my ear
"Hey Sonny, try this here leopard install disk"

4am. Iīm very tired now as several hours and 3 install attempts later itīs (MacOSX 10.5) running, which is more than can say for Virtue Desktops which isnīt . Neither is an attempted downgrading back to Tiger, so unless I feel like vaping the wjole disk Iīm stuck with spots for a while (Spaces is nearly as good as Virtue)

--
bombholio

Re: Changing Your Spots Bruce Ure - 10:23 30/11/06
How beta is the version you have? Does it have Time Machine? That looks quite sexy.

--

Re: Changing Your Spots David Crowson - 10:56 30/11/06
It looks to be quite stable, and yes it has time machine.

The only app that didnīt work was Virtue, but then I was trying to install r233 and theyīre up to r241 which does work with Leopard so Iīll be trying that when I get home tonight....

--
bombholio

Re: Changing Your Spots David Crowson - 19:25 30/11/06
Huzzah!

Leopard now working with VirtueDesktops (r33 not r41), Parallels (running XP and Ubuntu) , Spaces and Chicken of the VNC

Someone pass me a kleenex ;-p

--
bombholio

Re: Changing Your Spots Steve - 13:08 19/01/07
Which reminds me, as an ADC Select member, I ought to go and install the newest build of Leopard they pushed out today.

--
stevepa

Re: Mac stuff David Crowson - 18:03 17/01/07
right, enough of this having to move my hand around nonsense. I've forgone the trackpad in favour of a new logitech cordless trackman wheel (I am _so_ glad they still make them, this'll be my 3rd one cos they are brilliant and my favourite pointing device besides the Wii remote:)

_now_ we're cooking on all burners.....

next job, leopard 90321 client install.

now what was my master password....ah yes, I remember :)

--
bombholio

Re: Mac stuff Bruce Ure - 18:23 17/01/07
Yes, ROFL to today's Dilbert. Reminds me of the one relating to the PHB's keyboard only typing asterisks, and needing to change his password, and it being suggested he changes it to a load of asterisks... or something. Damn, I wish I could find it.

--

Re: Mac stuff Simon - 18:36 17/01/07
Once worked with a guy who changed his password every day.

On Monday it was 'Monday', on Tuesday it was...
--
simon

Re: Mac stuff Bruce Ure - 19:12 17/01/07
lol!

Found it, though not in the archives, only as text:

Boss: "My keyboard is broken. It only types asterisks for passwords."
Dogbert (Tech support): "Try changing your password to five asterisks."
Boss: "I hope I can remember it."

--