Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

The Politics of Mathematics
by Hugo van der Sanden at 13:19 25/08/06 (Blogs::Hugo)
Who gets credit for solving the Poincaré Conjecture?
This article is a fascinating, in-depth study of the history and characters of people involved in solving the Poincaré Conjecture, one of the Clay Mathematics Institute's seven $1,000,000 "Millenium Prize Problems".

No technical knowledge required.

Hugo

<< techno/audio/phile The logical next step >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
The Politics of Mathematics Hugo van der Sanden - 13:19 25/08/06
Re: The Politics of Mathematics Jonathan Tuppeny - 10:45 26/08/06
As an aside, could I ask is 'Sir John M. Ball, the fifty-eight-year-old president of the International Mathematical Union' the same Johnny Ball who did the 'Think of a Number' TV Series. If so, it's good to see he's finally being recognised for his contribution to mathematics.
--
jht
Re: The Politics of Mathematics Steve - 10:59 26/08/06
Doesn't look like it:

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~ball/

http://www.johnnyball.co.uk/AboutJBpage.htm

--
stevepa

Re: The Politics of Mathematics Bruce Ure - 11:06 26/08/06
Doesn't look like it; Wikipedia makes him 68, and doesn't mention him being a kerrrr-nigght.

What a fabulous series that was. My fave memory is the experiment where the audience threw sticks onto the stage and he counted the number that were touching one of the stick-length-apart parallel lines drawn thereon, and the number that weren't, and related them very simply to pi.

I think the ratio of touching to not was 1:pi.

--

Re: The Politics of Mathematics Jonathan Tuppeny - 11:15 26/08/06
Sorry I wasn't actually being serious. Despite Johnny Ball's undoubted contribution to mathematics I didn't think he'd have risen to such academic heights.

Although I think he'd certainly do a good job of promoting mathematics.
--
jht

Re: The Politics of Mathematics Bruce Ure - 11:51 26/08/06
D'oh!

Hopefully that'll be clear when I actually read the paper.

--