Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - new thoughts
by Simon at 18:06 15/05/06 (Blogs::Simon)
At last the resolution of the images covering the Salisbury Plain / Stonehenge area has been improved on Google Earth.

Now I can waste some serious amounts of time :-)

First glance, I can tell that what I've suspected since moving to this area is almost certainly correct - that the Avenue at Stonehenge is aligned bang on Sidbury Hill, nearly 8 miles distant.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Sidbury looks like a giant round barrow from that direction.

Time to do a landscape cross section to see if they are truly intervisible - I reckon they almost certainly are.

Later...

... well, it seems my hunch may be right.

Taking the centre of Stonehenge as 51d10m43s N, 1d49m35s W (from my GPS reading in the stone circle in 2000) then the bearing between that and a high point chosen arbitrarily on Sidbury Hill's southerly flank works out at 48d27m58s using the formula for the initial bearing (on a great circle route between the locations) at http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55417.html .

That's close to the azimuth of sunrise at the time Stonehenge is supposed to have been built c 2450BC.

I'll need to do more calculations to be sure, but I'm fairly confident that if you were to stand at Stonehenge 4500 years ago and look along the Avenue towards the sunrise point at the summer solstice, you'd see the Sun rising out of the top of Sidbury Hill, 8 miles away.

Tracing the path on an OS map reveals a number of trackways exactly along this alignment, which have defined the edges of more recent tree plantations.

Please note! I'm talking about SiDbury Hill, which is a natural hill with a late bronze-age/early iron age hill fort on its summit, and is 8 miles north east of Stonehenge, and not SiLbury Hill which is an artifical mound 16 miles north of Stonehenge, near Avebury.

--
simon

<< www.renew-reuse-recycle.com iChat and AIM connection probl... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - new thoughts Simon - 18:06 15/05/06
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - landscape profiles Simon - 11:00 16/05/06
Well after a couple of hours work last night, here are the results.

Along the axis of the Avenue, there's a 134m high bump in the landscape just north west of Durrington Walls which blocks the view of the point I chose on Sidbury Hill's southern flank.

Here's that plot:

However, that 134m bump is only a few tens of metres wide, and by shifting gaze about 0.5° to the north of the Avenue axis, two things happen.

1) You're now looking at the highest point of Sidbury Hill, instead of towards the southern flank

2) You're looking over a 125m ridge, not at a 134m bump.

Here's that plot:

I now suspect that (if the modern trees weren't in the way) you'd see a notch in the landscape between Sidbury Hill on the left in the far distance (8 miles) and the 134m bump NW of Durrington Walls on the right in the near distance (2.5 miles) - and the Sun would rise through that notch on the summer solstice.

--
simon

Attachments...
GIF image (5 K) Contour plot along Avenue axis from Stonehenge to Sidbury Hill
GIF image (5 K) Contour plot just off Avenue axis from Stonehenge to Sidbury Hill
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - landscape profiles David Crowson - 14:38 16/05/06
next step, search for the notch ?

Bloody fascinating btw....

--
bombholio

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - landscape profiles Simon - 15:15 16/05/06
Ah - the notch is a line of sight thing.

Kinda like this:

--
simon
Attachments...
GIF image (5 K) Notch
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - landscape profiles David Crowson - 15:25 16/05/06
ahh, right, I was imaging some man-made thing that had been hidden for centuries.

--
bombholio

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - landscape profiles Gordon Hundley - 21:50 16/05/06
Hire a chainsaw.

--
DrGoon

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise Simon - 07:43 23/06/06
:-)

This morning was clear and bright, and being only 2 days after solstice the Sun's rising in pretty much exactly the same place as it did on the 21st.

So I went and stood on the axis from the Avenue towards Sidbury Hill (NB: SiDbury, not SiLbury - to avoid some evident confusion), on the side of the 134m hump mentioned earlier in this thread, on the road up to Larkhill from Durrington - here's a map:

Avenue alignment mapBlue line indicates alignment along Avenue towards Sidbury Hill.

... and took some photos of sunrise, to see if it really did rise where I said it would:

The instant of sunrise, 23/6/2006Told you so :-)

Sunrise out of Sidbury Hill, 23/6/2006

To get the overall feel for the view, here's a quick panorama shot:

Panorama of sunrise out of Sidbury Hill, 23/6/2006

Well worth getting up for at 4.30am, I reckon.

--
simon

PS: Our place is slightly to the north and west of the alignment from the Avenue to Sidbury Hill, and the ground slopes up towards the north east, so we get sunrise about 20 minutes later over the end of our back garden.

When I get the webcam properly mounted on the roof sometime in the coming year, we should see the sun rise directly out of the top of Sidbury Hill (which you can just see from our upstairs window). For now, here's a pic taken from our garden this morning on returning from Larkhill:

Sunrise over our back garden, 23/6/2006

Updated 2006-08-18: I went back to the same location in Larkhill to try and take a picture of the northernmost Moonrise.

Attachments...
JPG image (51 K) Avenue Alignment map
JPG image (150 K) The instant of sunrise, 23/6/2006
JPG image (158 K) Sunrise out of Sidbury Hill
JPG image (150 K) Sunrise out of Sidbury Hill #2
JPG image (152 K) Sunrise out of Sidbury Hill #3
JPG image (263 K) ... and from our back garden, 30 minutes later
JPG image (29 K) Panorama of sunrise over Sidbury Hill
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise Bruce Ure - 07:53 23/06/06
Excellent! Fascinating. Thanks.

--

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise David Crowson - 11:21 23/06/06
cracking photos too..
--
bombholio
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise Simon - 11:33 23/06/06
Thanks - actually I hate the DX6490's focusing.

It just won't take a picture without faffing about whirring and gooping even when it's allegedly set to 'infinity'.

The result is it's pretty vague about what 'infinity' is, and the depth of field even at f8 sometimes doesn't get there.

Gimme a manual focus any time.

Thankfully, digital SLRs are finally coming down enough in price to consider getting one some time.
--
simon

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise Gordon Hundley - 19:07 23/06/06
Those are good pictures, and well called on the alignment.

My Nikon D50 was under $500 - a factory refurb, but through a reputable dealer. DSLRs appear to be one of those things you should buy on a US visit.
--
DrGoon

- Deleted User Account - 14:08 23/06/06
-
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - solstice sunrise Simon - 14:15 23/06/06
The thing I liked about it is the way the pink-tinged clouds appear to be billowing out to the right. There's a definite sense of 'bowshock'.
--
simon
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - extended south Simon - 17:00 25/06/06
I swear that Google Earth is the biggest chronivore yet developed.

Upgraded to Google Earth Plus, and downloaded the beta of version 4. This allows me to save paths, which is a great help.

Anyway, I was up on Sidbury Hill yesterday afternoon, OS map in hand, figuring out the path of the solstice alignment south-west back towards Stonehenge.

On the far horizon, maybe 30 miles away I could make out a distinctive oddly shaped hill. It seems that Stonehenge is on the solstice alignment line between that hill and Sidbury.

Projecting the line between Sidbury and Stonehenge back towards the south-west, the first hill encountered which is high enough to project against the skyline from Sidbury Hill (224m) appears to be Melbury Hill (236m), a couple of miles south of Shaftesbury.

Here's a screenshot (you may want to open the full size version from the Attachments link below, if you're following along in detail):

Melbury Hill to Sidbury Hill solstice alignment

The .kml placemarks for Google Earth for Melbury and Sidbury Hills are attached below.

Also on or very close next to this alignment are some interesting other features:

ChicksgroveChicksgrove

Grovely CastleGrovely Castle (white line is the path of the alignment)

Stapleford CastleStapleford Castle

and of course:

StonehengeStonehenge

If it wasn't tipping down with rain right now, I'd be on top of Melbury Hill with a map and a camera :-) Next week maybe.

Of course this means that, come Winter Solstice, I'm going to have to be up on top of Sidbury Hill to watch the sun set into Melbury Hill, 30 miles away.
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (478 K) Melbury to Sidbury solstice alignment
other (0 K) Melbury Hill Google Earth placemark
other (0 K) Sidbury Hill Google Earth placemark
JPG image (76 K) Chicksgrove
JPG image (54 K) Grovely Castle
JPG image (42 K) Stapleford Castle
JPG image (38 K) Stonehenge
- Deleted User Account - 12:43 27/06/06
-
- Deleted User Account - 12:44 27/06/06
-
Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - extended south Simon - 13:55 27/06/06
Not written by me, and not known about by me either prior to that pointer, so thanks.

I've got a copy of Alfred Watkins' 1925 book "The Old Straight Track" which I picked up at the Megalithomania conference but haven't read it yet (still stuck in the middle of All Done with Mirrors).

Watkins never visited the Stonehenge area, but flicking through the index of his book I see he advanced the idea that Sidbury was involved in a Stonehenge alignment, but in the appendix he reports he's been informed that Stonehenge and Sidbury aren't intervisible.

Idle musing - I wonder if you could see Sidbury if you stood on the top of the lintel ring at Stonehenge, or on the even higher great trilithon (of which only one stone still stands). It'd put you at least 30 feet higher off the ground.
--
simon

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - extended south Simon - 16:10 08/12/10
Idle musing - I wonder if you could see Sidbury if you stood on the top of the lintel ring at Stonehenge, or on the even higher great trilithon (of which only one stone still stands). It'd put you at least 30 feet higher off the ground.

(and now, some 4 years later....)

I've happened across http://www.heywhatsthat.com/ and it's a very handy thing for determining intervisibility based on terrain modelling.

I just had to have a go at putting my eyes 30' up in the air by standing on top of the Grand Trilithon at Stonehenge to see if I'd be able to see Sidbury Hill poking up above Larkhill.

I've attached some screengrabs of the output which speak nicely for themselves :-)

Visibility of terrain when standing on top of the Grand TrilithonThe red shading is the terrain that's visible if you were to stand on top of the Grand Trilithon at Stonehenge. Purple cross is Stonehenge, black one is Sidbury Hill

Horizon and ground profilesHorizon and ground profile looking on a bearing of 49° towards Sidbury Hill as seen from atop the Grand Trilithon. In the ground trace, the large bump on the right hand side is Sidbury Hill - notice how the sightline just manages to clear the ridge at Larkhill

Check back up this thread to find my earlier ground traces done the old fashioned way.
--
simon

Attachments...
PNG image (831 K) Red shading is terrain that'd be visible if you stood on top of the Grand Trilithon
PNG image (58 K) Plot of ground profile and horizon from atop the Grand Trilithon