Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Imperial College Science Challenge (updated)
by Simon at 12:15 27/01/06 (Blogs::Simon)
I can already tell that 2006 is going to be considerably weirder than 2005.

The January 2006 Alumni News Update I've just received from the Royal College of Science Association says that the two science faculty unions of Imperial College are running a Science Challenge in the spring term.

The challenge is...

To propose an innovative method of utilizing scientific knowledge to preserve the seeds of 'civilization' in the event of a catastrophic natural or man-made global disaster. This may be approached from any angle but entrants will be asked to present a concept and scientific basis for their proposal with clearly defined reasoning.

The objectives are to encourage innovative and creative use of science and to support students' development through the opportunity to approach a problem analytically and utilize their scientific knowledge to create a novel solution. Entries may be made either by individuals or teams and awards will be given for the Most Innovative Concept and the Best Scientific Proposal.

Update: 31/1/2006 The question's been changed, see below.

--
simon

<< Megalithic Measurements Florida 2006 >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Imperial College Science Challenge (updated) Simon - 12:15 27/01/06
Re: Imperial College Science Challenge Dominic Search - 14:46 27/01/06
So place 6 million tons of granite and limestone in a desert as to form a square-base pyramid. Then place inside as many stone tablets as required, inscribing them with all human knowledge worth saving. Use an otherwise inscrutable language that requires any following civilization reach a certain level of understanding before they are able to recover the knowledge there written.

Justification: it worked before!

(OK, so we haven't found the tablets yet... ;-)

LITL.W/L
Dominic

Re: Imperial College Science Challenge Simon - 15:07 27/01/06
That was my first thought - wouldn't win the prize for innovation though!

I've emailed them asking if I can attend the presentation of the entries for judging.

--
simon

They've changed the question! Simon - 11:22 31/01/06
In reply to my email they've sent me the following text, which is being published in the college newspaper:

Launching, for the first time, on Monday, the 6th of February, is the Imperial College Science Challenge. This is your chance to be part of a fresh, new competition that aims to stimulate innovation and creative scientific thinking, giving you exposure to real world scientific and technological problems, outside of the lecture theatre. What’s more there’s a £1000 first prize to play for.

Open to all imperial students, entrants will be competing as individuals or in teams to come up with a solution to the question “How will science allow for a manned, self-contained settlement on mars to become a reality?" You have total free reign over how to approach the problem and are encouraged to draw inspiration from different disciplines.

Entries will be in the form a 4-page report that outlines a solution, be it a technology, a system or a process, and how it will solve a particular problem associated with such a settlement. The overall winner will receive £1000 with additional cash prizes for runners-up. The closing date is on Friday 3rd of March and winning entries will be selected by a panel of esteemed expert judges based on scientific content, feasibility, practicality and, most importantly, originality.

The competition was originally proposed by the Royal College of Science Association as a way of getting students excited about real life scientific challenges. They envisaged the question as something that would stir the imagination and spark discussion over a few pints before the students molded their ambitious ideas genuine proposals.

For more information on the competition and an introduction to the problem at hand, we will be holding a launch event on the 6th of February in the SAF building at 6pm. There will be a chance to meet potential team members and discuss your ideas over drinks and snacks provided after the event.

This is competition is a great chance to allow students to showcase their abilities outside of the confines of their course. It will be an excellent opportunity to add something unique to your CV, hopefully win some money and all the while having fun with friends!

I plan to try and get along there - you interested by any chance? Change of plan, won't be going along to this after all.

The change of question raises a wry smile here - the preservation of knowledge in situ for later discovery versus how to provide for a Martian bolt-hole.

Item: Basket (eggs). One-off for the putting of all into.

--
simon