Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

It's war.
by Simon at 19:19 01/12/04 (Blogs::Simon)
Lycos versus spammers
On the whole, I think this approach is likely to be counterproductive...
--
simon
<< www.SorryEverybody.com Adverting - Google worried abo... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
It's war. Simon - 19:19 01/12/04
Re: It's war. Dominic Search - 16:23 04/12/04
Agreed, but I couldn't resist giving it a quick evaluation... it certainly seemed to use a fairly modest amount of my bandwidth, but I understand the overall up take was way higher than they expected and their site allocation algorithm was too aggressive. Two days in it kept saying I wasn't connected to the Internet and so wouldn't work... turns out it was them who weren't connected (blocked by backbone providers).

I think the Lycos experiment was brave and worthwhile. They implemented an idea that's been discussed online for sometime and have shown there is clearly a strong public mood for vengeance against spammers. However they have also shown the fallacy of taking such vengeance into one's own hands - the escalation of tactics implicit in this kind of war is simply not the way to address the issue.

OTOH, unless the lawmakers and technologist find a solution PDQ, we could see the Lycos experiment go the way of P2P in that it will re-appear in a much more diffuse and less blockable fashion.

--
Dom

Re: It's war. Simon - 12:53 05/12/04
Just as there are zealots in the anti-spam brigade, there are zealots in the spamhausen too - the last thing needed is an all out DDoS war between the two (at least, while the potential for collatoral damage is so great).
--
simon
Re: It's war. Dominic Search - 19:24 06/12/04
True enough... but with spam now accounting for 73% of all emails (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4072647.stm) this kind of direct action is likely to increase unless a fix is found RSN.

I see that "Lycos has shut down the campaign saying it had been started to stimulate debate about anti-spam measures and had now achieved this aim" - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4073547.stm

--
thoth

Re: It's war. Graham Freeman - 19:50 07/12/04
Move away from blind senders then.

As posted to my personal forums
(forums.gfreeman.com):
================================
User-A ----> SERVER-A ----> (internet) ----> SERVER-B ----> User-B

User-A connects to SERVER-A to send an email to User-B
SERVER-A sends email to SERVER-B
SERVER-B send copy of email back to SERVER-A asking for confirmation
SERVER-A replies to SERVER-B saying "yes User-A sent that message"
SERVER-B passes email to User-B
================================
Yes, it'll up to triple the overall payload for sending an email, but if that eliminates spam, it'll still end up saving.
--
gfreeman