Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Weds
by David Crowson at 12:58 22/11/04 (Blogs::Dave)
I was handed a project plan that showed me fully booked up with work till the end of next week.
This morning , I get a phone call at 8am asking me if I was going to in the office today as I need to handover to the outsourcing compnay they've hired to do the db management.

A fine way to find out you've been terminated. (I'd been asking them for weeks and weeks, and not a peep out of them)
F**king Amateurs.

and breath........

--
bombholio
<< Wow Apple Flash Player >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Weds David Crowson - 12:58 22/11/04
Re: Weds Simon - 13:22 22/11/04
The outsourcing company is bound to be less responsive and more expensive than you.

How much chance is there they'll want to nurse an unsupported Oracle version? Perhaps they don't know yet...

--
simon

Re: Weds David Crowson - 13:30 22/11/04
I've just told the poor chap who they've sent in, and I've told him everything, especially the about the excellent management style, hoho. (BTW he lives in Taunton, so any problems will take hours and hours to fix)

That plus the fact that he saw me having a pop at the managers this am for failing to inform me of anything at all.

He doesn't appear to be as happy now as he was when I turned up :)

--
bombholio

Re: Weds Simon - 13:40 22/11/04
Hmm, I get the feeling this handover is along the lines of...

Dave: "Hi, I'm just in the middle of defusing this completely unstable bomb. Did you bring your toolkit with you?"

New Guy: "Ulp, nope - and I've never worked on a bomb like this before."

Dave: "Never mind, here - hold onto these two wires for a bit and don't let go."

New Guy: "Hey! Where are you off to? Come back!"
--
simon

Re: Weds David Crowson - 13:51 22/11/04
that's about the size of it, and if my passport was here I'd be running away to another country to make sure :)

Somehow I don't think they'll be getting the full 40 hours out of me this week.....

--
bombholio

Re: Weds Simon - 13:57 22/11/04
Now now, remember that you're a professional and to act accordingly :-)
--
simon
Re: Weds David Crowson - 14:03 22/11/04
of course, but as I've just handed over responsibility and all paswswords etc to another company then that leaves me free to do bugger all this week....apart from turning up to get my timesheets signed and sitting at home waiting for the inevitable 'help , we're buggered' phone call......

Besides, it's not me that needs reminding about professionalism and courtesy...

--
bombholio

Re: Weds Simon - 14:51 22/11/04
it's not me...

True - just concerned to correct any impressions a casual visitor to your blog might take away otherwise :-)

--
simon

Re: Weds David Crowson - 14:56 22/11/04
Angry, moi :)

I suspect that I've been undercut price-wise if you read their blurb....I hope other contractors don't get wind of this underhand tactic, it's hard enough to make a living as it is without this sort of carry-on :)

Cheapo Cheapo

'WellData believes that the market prices currently charged by contractors, ISVs and VADs are far higher than necessary. WellData’s unique method of working has been deliberately structured to provide you with the best service at the most competitive price.'

--
bombholio

Re: Weds Gordon Hundley - 19:56 22/11/04
> unique method of working

100% of 5 minute management guides agree: if it is unique, it is because thousands of others tried the approach and it didn't work.

The exception being that it wouldn't be unique but for your insane IP licensing fees. However, I'd already discounted that, by nature of the .co.uk tld. :)

The philosophical approach to this is to consider what will happen when people use a solution that only seems to be cheap - they will impact their deliverables and require further services. The company that got them into that predicament with their spaz marketing is unlikely to be the company engaged to get them out of trouble. In other words it's a double win - you get out of a contract that probably wasn't enjoyable, and the replacement VAR creates further work in your industry sector that can employ other people, keeping them from applying for your future gigs. Bless em.
--
DrGoon

'I told you so' David Crowson - 10:33 23/11/04
>it's a double win - you get out of a contract that probably wasn't enjoyable

True, today I will mostly be giving the poor chap service desk tickets for everything that has broken in the last two weeks because of the decision by those who decided that

'Nothing should run as Admin, so we've changed all the admin passwords'

Problem is that as that was the only account I was ever given to use (and Oracle and _everything_ runs as admin) and as everything was already installed under admin, well you can guess the consequences......

I did warn them that saying that nothing should run as admin and the actual reality of the situation were different, but they are right, I am wrong and out the door...and everything is now broken.

it's gonna be a looooooong week.

and breath.....

--

bombholio