Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Just a reminder
by David Crowson at 16:16 09/08/04 (Blogs::Dave)
that it's the Perseid's this week......
--
bombholio
<< Meta-Tags Illegal Coffee Genome cracked >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Just a reminder David Crowson - 16:16 09/08/04
Re: Just a reminder Simon - 16:28 09/08/04
That'll be why it's bucketing down with rain then.
--
simon
Re: Just a reminder David Crowson - 16:36 09/08/04
def. especially as this years is going to be a better show than all the other years....

" This year we’ll also cross the path of a new strand of debris that separated from the comet in 1862.

Because this strand of debris is still so young, the dust particles are still relatively concentrated. This means that when we pass through it we’ll be treated to a more brilliant display than usual. "

I'll get me raincoat.....
--
bombholio

Re: Just a reminder Simon - 17:09 09/08/04
I'm tempted to go for a different observing time this year, ie much more early evening (9 - 10pm on the 11th) when the radiant is lower in the sky. Better time to see the earthgrazer meteors that just skim through the top of the atmosphere.
--
simon
Re: Just a reminder Bruce Ure - 17:42 09/08/04
Bugger. If it weren't the wife's birthday I'd come over for a front seat.
Re: Just a reminder David Crowson - 18:21 09/08/04
judging by the weather reports, it won't be raining, but it might be cloudy hopefully with gaps.....

I assume you won't mind a visitor anyway ?

--
bombholio

Re: Just a reminder Simon - 21:00 09/08/04
S'fine - just before 9 would be good, I've got a dentist appointment at 6.30.
--
simon
Re: Just a reminder Gordon Hundley - 18:54 09/08/04
1862 was the year that Lewis Swift and Horace Tuttle discovered the comet, and they observed this filament break away from the comet. So hats off to Swift and Tuttle, and to Simons, Pacinotti, Toussaint, Schjellerup and Tebbut, who all independantly discovered the comet that year. This is their firework show, though it won't be visible in America. It should be magnificent in Eastern Asia.
--
DrGoon
Re: Just a reminder David Crowson - 21:10 11/08/04
so much for that then , bloody clouds....

--
bombholio

Re: Just a reminder Simon - 09:40 12/08/04
Try again tonight?
--
simon
Re: Just a reminder David Crowson - 13:59 12/08/04
Alrighty (and as I'm not working tonite, for a change:)

--
bombholio