Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

What's the scam here?
by Bruce Ure at 14:37 04/04/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
I've been getting an increasing number of emails of the "be our agent in the UK and earn cash in your spare time" ilk.
Now usually I can spot a scam a mile off, but some of these actually seem genuine, in as much as I can't spot the scam. I'm wondering whether I'm just being thick, and they are being super-clever, either by design or just sheer luck.

For example one was for a company who manufacture or distribute LCD screen technology. They promised 5% of all orders placed through you. You take the order, pass it on to them, wait for the payment to clear in your bank, then transfer all bar 5% to them.

I can see how that might be a legally sensitive area as regards income tax, but how can it actually be a scam? The money's cleared before you transfer the balance.

Another one I got, today, seems way more suspicious. They are a seafood company, offering a base salary of 60kUSD and 10% of all sales, all of which seems more than a little fishy (arf arf). Who's really going to offer a total stranger 35 grand a year just like that? It seems to good to be true, therefore it probably is.

Is the first company genuine and the second is aping the first in the hope of catching out the unwary, or are they both scams?

I'll try and dig them out and post them as a comment to this.

--

<< One for Upside-down-ternet >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
What's the scam here? Bruce Ure - 4/04
    Re: What's the scam here? - LC... Bruce Ure - 4/04
    Re: What's the scam here? - te... Bruce Ure - 4/04
    Re: What's the scam here? - se... Bruce Ure - 4/04
       - Deleted User Account - 4/04
    Re: What's the scam here? Simon - 5/04