Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Ways to while away an hour.
by Simon at 10:53 06/01/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
Right, got it.

Seems to me both useful on the one hand, and potentially confusing for a novice on the other. I wonder how many non-tech users ever alt-tab anywhere for instance.

The restrictions in place on OS X's file open/save dialog at least keep the novice focussed on one thing at a time - and if you've ever supported a complete novice, you'll understand why I think that's a plus point.

On the specific point of which PDF did I mean, I'd probably switch to multi-column view because then you can see a preview of each file as you highlight it.

On the other points, I guess because I've been zooming around the Finder for so long I tend not to notice that kind of annoyance.

Though I do miss an old Classic MacOS extension that remembered all the recent folders you'd visited system-wide and gave you drop downs in the open/save dialog and loads of other useful things, similar to what you describe.

[Googles... Ah, "Default Folder" is what it was called - and there's a version for OSX]
--
simon

<< Interesting finds on google ma... OSX's concurrent tasking >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Ways to while away an hour. Bruce Ure - 5/01
    Re: Ways to while away an hour... David Crowson - 5/01
       Re: Ways to while away an hour... Simon - 5/01
          Re: Ways to while away an hour... Bruce Ure - 5/01
             Re: Ways to while away an hour... Simon - 5/01
                Re: Ways to while away an hour... Bruce Ure - 5/01
                   Re: Ways to while away an hour... Simon - 6/01
          Re: Ways to while away an hour... David Crowson - 5/01