Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Lunstice over Sidbury Hill 2006-08-17
by Simon at 10:31 18/08/06 (Blogs::Simon)
Last night, just before midnight, the Moon rose at its maximum northerly declination.

So I went back to the same location on the Stonehenge Avenue alignment in Larkhill that I went to at the Solstice to see if I could grab a picture of the relative position of this Moonrise over Sidbury.

Here are the pictures from the Solstice back in June, for reference, along with the map showing where I was stood.

It was partially cloudy, with a clearer strip near the horizon, and it's quite tough to get any kind of usable time exposure from my digital camera but a 16 second exposure managed to capture the Moonrise and enough of Sidbury's slope in silhouette to allow me to make this montage:

Relative positions of Moonrise and Sunrise at their northern extents, over Sidbury HillRelative positions of Moonrise and Sunrise at their northern extents, over Sidbury Hill

Now I can relax for another 19 years :-)

(the line of lights on the left are from a military helicopter that happened to pass by)
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (17 K) Lunstice-Solstice montage over Sidbury Hill
<< Stardust @ home If your beige G3 fails to beep... >>
Printer Version