Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - new thoughts
by Simon at 18:06 15/05/06 (Blogs::Simon)
At last the resolution of the images covering the Salisbury Plain / Stonehenge area has been improved on Google Earth.

Now I can waste some serious amounts of time :-)

First glance, I can tell that what I've suspected since moving to this area is almost certainly correct - that the Avenue at Stonehenge is aligned bang on Sidbury Hill, nearly 8 miles distant.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Sidbury looks like a giant round barrow from that direction.

Time to do a landscape cross section to see if they are truly intervisible - I reckon they almost certainly are.

Later...

... well, it seems my hunch may be right.

Taking the centre of Stonehenge as 51d10m43s N, 1d49m35s W (from my GPS reading in the stone circle in 2000) then the bearing between that and a high point chosen arbitrarily on Sidbury Hill's southerly flank works out at 48d27m58s using the formula for the initial bearing (on a great circle route between the locations) at http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55417.html .

That's close to the azimuth of sunrise at the time Stonehenge is supposed to have been built c 2450BC.

I'll need to do more calculations to be sure, but I'm fairly confident that if you were to stand at Stonehenge 4500 years ago and look along the Avenue towards the sunrise point at the summer solstice, you'd see the Sun rising out of the top of Sidbury Hill, 8 miles away.

Tracing the path on an OS map reveals a number of trackways exactly along this alignment, which have defined the edges of more recent tree plantations.

Please note! I'm talking about SiDbury Hill, which is a natural hill with a late bronze-age/early iron age hill fort on its summit, and is 8 miles north east of Stonehenge, and not SiLbury Hill which is an artifical mound 16 miles north of Stonehenge, near Avebury.

--
simon

<< www.renew-reuse-recycle.com iChat and AIM connection probl... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - ... Simon - 15/05
    Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
       Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
          Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
             Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
                Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 16/05
                   Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Bruce Ure - 23/06
                         Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 23/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 23/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 25/06
                         - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 27/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 8/12