Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Netatalk 2 and Berkeley DB
by Simon at 15:27 26/04/06 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
18 months later, I find myself needing to rebuild Netatalk once more - version 2.0.3 on a fresh and clean, minimally-installed CentOS 4.2 machine.

The magic incantation this time around, having built and installed BDB 4.2.52 in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 is:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/ ./configure --enable-redhat --with-bdb=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2

... because the alleged solution --with-bdb=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 from my previous comment evidently isn't sufficient to enable configure to correctly locate the newly installed libraries.

I suspect this may be to do with the fact that the default db installed with CentOS itself is 4.2.52, and some kind of library precedence issue is involved.

In any event, next time I grab the sources for netatalk and run into configure complaining about configure: error: Berkeley DB library required but not found! I'll be able to look in here and remind myself of this particular gotcha.

Addendum

[root@khufu netatalk-2.0.3]# ldd /usr/local/sbin/afpd
libdb-4.2.so => /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb-4.2.so (0x00e91000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0x00d49000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00cb7000)
libwrap.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x00cbd000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x00b8b000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00b72000)

... this build and install was done WITHOUT changing ld.so.conf to add a pointer to the new BerkeleyDB libraries, and WITHOUT running ldconfig.

--
simon

<< Creating favicons on non-Windo... Email blacklisting >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Netatalk 2 and Berkeley DB Simon - 7/11
    Re: Netatalk 2 and Berkeley DB Simon - 10/11
       Re: Netatalk 2 and Berkeley DB Simon - 26/04