Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Web Fantasticness
by Bruce Ure at 10:23 01/11/05 (Blogs::Bruce)
Yes, it's via a fairly tortuous route but if you want to reproduce it, there can't be that much of a change from your garmin's output to mine. It basically wants

<Run>
    <Track>
      <Trackpoint>
        <Position>
          <Latitude>51.401018</Latitude>
          <Longitude>-0.266116</Longitude>
          <Altitude>15.518433</Altitude>
        </Position>
        <Time>2005-10-31T15:48:37Z</Time>
      </Trackpoint>
    </Track>
  </Run>

(Apologies if you've already gleaned this, but) the whole thing is an implementation of the google maps API, and the code was written by Particletree. There's a reasonable explanation of what they're doing, which I don't pretend to understand fully, here.

Their Garmin is a Forerunner 201, and mine is a 301. The closest I could get to the right XML format was to "export history" from the Garmin Training Centre, into a HST file. Then I open that, delete all except the last run (yes, you have to export the whole damn history, every time), and stick it through a weenyscript program I wrote to turn it into the Forerunner 201 host application's XML output format (why will the more primitive device's host sotfware export XML and the less primitive not? Who can tell).

Fussiness of the format: I naively assumed that the <Time> field could appear anywhere within <Trackpoint> but it seems everything has to be in the right order: I originally tried it above <Position> because that's where it is in the HST output, but it didn't like it.

How was the speed and jerkiness and all that? The 'quality of the experience'? :-)

--

<< You been moonlighting, Steve? Moontastic >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Web Fantasticness Bruce Ure - 31/10
    Re: Web Fantasticness Simon - 1/11
       Re: Web Fantasticness Bruce Ure - 1/11
          Re: Web Fantasticness Simon - 1/11