Naturally, I want to help, so spend a few minutes going through the logs checking that indeed we did send the email and the remote mailserver accepted it. Good news - that means the problem's at the user's end.
Done and dusted? Nope. A while after sending my reply, including the relevant log lines to help the user track down what happened to the inbound email at his end, I get a message from them asking what was in my previous email because their system has quarantined it with the following message:
From: Mailsweeper Mailer
Sent: 16 August 2004 10:37
To: ******, *****
Subject: Message Quarantined - Re:Fwd: RE: SUSIE
Mailsweeper has quarantined a possible virus attachment.
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:37:14 +0100
Subject: Re:Fwd: RE: SUSIE
Classification: Incoming Virus Attachment Detected
Reason: This email contains a suspect attachment such as a program, batch
file, screensaver or protected content most commonly associated with current
virus trends - hence this email has been quarantined.
There are two main problems with this:
1) There was no attachment.
2) There was no attachment.
Now, I realise that that's actually the same problem, but it's such a biggie I thought it needed saying twice.
Further investigation reveals that the filter at the other end quarantines *anything* that contains the pattern:
Shades of not allowing people from Scunthorpe to register on AOL...
Mailsweeper's site makes the bold claim:
MAILsweeper™ for Exchange
Bring the power of the #1 content security solution to internal mail
... sadly, it doesn't go on to say "... by preventing useful communication, and spewing out inaccurate Classifications willy-nilly."
Maybe I should sue...