Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - extended south
by Simon at 16:10 08/12/10 (Blogs::Simon)
Idle musing - I wonder if you could see Sidbury if you stood on the top of the lintel ring at Stonehenge, or on the even higher great trilithon (of which only one stone still stands). It'd put you at least 30 feet higher off the ground.

(and now, some 4 years later....)

I've happened across http://www.heywhatsthat.com/ and it's a very handy thing for determining intervisibility based on terrain modelling.

I just had to have a go at putting my eyes 30' up in the air by standing on top of the Grand Trilithon at Stonehenge to see if I'd be able to see Sidbury Hill poking up above Larkhill.

I've attached some screengrabs of the output which speak nicely for themselves :-)

Visibility of terrain when standing on top of the Grand TrilithonThe red shading is the terrain that's visible if you were to stand on top of the Grand Trilithon at Stonehenge. Purple cross is Stonehenge, black one is Sidbury Hill

Horizon and ground profilesHorizon and ground profile looking on a bearing of 49° towards Sidbury Hill as seen from atop the Grand Trilithon. In the ground trace, the large bump on the right hand side is Sidbury Hill - notice how the sightline just manages to clear the ridge at Larkhill

Check back up this thread to find my earlier ground traces done the old fashioned way.
--
simon

Attachments...
PNG image (831 K) Red shading is terrain that'd be visible if you stood on top of the Grand Trilithon
PNG image (58 K) Plot of ground profile and horizon from atop the Grand Trilithon
<< www.renew-reuse-recycle.com iChat and AIM connection probl... >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Stonehenge Avenue Alignment - ... Simon - 15/05
    Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
       Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
          Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 16/05
             Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 16/05
                Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 16/05
                   Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Bruce Ure - 23/06
                         Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... David Crowson - 23/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Gordon Hundley - 23/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 23/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 23/06
                      Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 25/06
                         - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            - Deleted User Account - 27/06
                            Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... Simon - 27/06
                               Re: Stonehenge Avenue Alignmen... There is an attachment here Simon - 8/12