Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Grant Loaf
by Bruce Ure at 13:08 13/01/10 (Blogs::Bruce)
The Grant Loaf was invented by some Mrs Grant during some war to show that wholesome nutritious breadness was possible even in times of rationing and that. (I should have been a historian.)
Anyway I was just gibbering on twitter about it to Mr Fleming of this parish, and realised I'd not posted the recipe anywhere so here it is. There are numerous variations on the web but this one, via my sister (read her blog) works for me.

It's surely the easiest bread recipe ever. No bread machine required and just 5 mins preparation.

You can use spelt flour instead, which gives a different texture and flavour, rather yummy actually. In fact you can substitute pretty much any kind of glutinous flour.

These quantities make one rather large loaf. Alter them relatively as required.

Put 680g wholemeal flour in large mixing bowl.

Add 7g dried yeast.

Add 2 to 3 teaspoons salt.

Mix the dry ingredients together then add 570g warm water.

Mix well until it goes into a lovely sticky mess (2 mins?).

Transfer to greased baking tin.

Cover with clean damp tea towel and leave for 30-50 mins to rise. (It'll be quicker when it's warmer.)

After risen put in oven at 200C / Gas 5 for about 45-55 mins. It's ready when the top's golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.

Remove from tin and cool on a rack.

Eat.

If you forget about it while it's rising it will fall again -- just wait for it to rise a second time.

The timings are quite vague. This is not precision stuff.

--

<< We have no way! Someone should >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Grant Loaf Bruce Ure - 13/01
    Re: Grant Loaf Simon - 13/01
    - Deleted User Account - 13/01
       Re: Grant Loaf Bruce Ure - 13/01
          Re: Grant Loaf Simon - 13/01