Be Internet / BeThere / Be Un Limited broadband update
by Bruce Ure at 16:28 27/09/07 (Blogs::Bruce)
This (their nominal 24 meg service, in practice supposed to be about 14 down / 2 up, one fixed ip, 40 quid a month including vat), installed trouble-free on the date it was supposed to install, was a breeze to set up the supplied router ('We are having some delays with router delivery' -- then next day it drops on the doormat).
Measured down speed as an average of 3 broadband speed testing sites was just short of 12 megs. The best reported just under 14, the worst just over 11. Up speed average just under 1.6 megs.

As a wet-finger test I downloaded the latest Ubuntu iso from the UKC mirror at Kent. It's as near as dammit 700 megs and it came down in just under 10 minutes.

I can happily report that subjectively the 'net world is a much better place round my house now. logmein.com works waaaaay quicker both inbound and out, YouTube videos don't stutter any more, DNS lookups are waaaaay quicker, the whole thing just feels so smooth and fast.

So, bollocks to my old ISP then (he said, struggling to resist the very strong urge to name them). No offence, like.

--

<< Finally.... LogMeIn has native... Excellent phishing message >>