Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Google Analytics Access Manager
by Simon at 10:27 06/01/07 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
I've discovered what looks like a bug in the Google Analytics access manager.

This is the tool you use when you want to grant someone view-only access to the analytics reports for a website profile for which you're the administrator.

I was trying to grant access to a customer so they could take a look at the kinds of stats that are available, to see whether they wanted to use Google Analytics on their own site.

They didn't have a GMail account, so I sent them one of my invites so they could set one up.

After they'd done so, they let me know what their new account email was and I granted it view-only acccess via the Access Manager.

However, when they then logged into Google Analytics, they found themselves presented with a 'provisioning' page inviting them to "Sign Up for Google Analytics" instead of anywhere that had any link to the reports they should have been able to see.

I then set myself up a new GMail account and granted it the necessary view-only access so I could check - and I had the same problem.

Both my customer and my new accounts were of the form [something]@googlemail.com but when I logged in with my new account I noticed that in the header of Google page it had [something]@gmail.com instead.

Purely on a hunch, I went back and added the @gmail.com variants via the Access Manager and hey presto, both now have view-only access to the reports.

I don't know precisely what this means, in terms of bugs or otherwise at Google, but I've let them know.

This message is posted here in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.
--
simon

<< VMWare competition for Paralle... Automator >>
Printer Version