Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Moontastic
by Bruce Ure at 13:13 17/11/05 (Blogs::Bruce)
After Simon indicated the potential of my camera for astronomical photography, I decided to take some moon shots last night. It was damn freezing and an extremely clear night.
First thing I discovered was that it's not all that easy to align a heavy camera and 800mm f2.8 lens combination on top of a tripod with a quick-release friction ball head, and point it at certain angles at the sky, without the head overloading and dropping it down again. It likes to be either completely vertical or completely horizontal, give or take 15 degrees or so, but nowhere inbetween. So all the shots were tripod-steadied rather than tripod mounted. I have several other tripod heads, the one I was using was the least suitable (but very much the most convenient at the time) so I should be able to remedy this.

The second thing is that for some reason I wasn't able to use mirror lock-up (which is where you lock the mirror up prior to firing the shutter, so that the vibration caused by the relatively heavy mirror is eliminated) because the camera had this option greyed out. This will be down to either the particular shooting mode, or some factor of the lens, or some setting or other, and can probably be overcome.

Anyway both of the above are why the following picture is annoyingly blurry, although it is still quite a good try I think. I'll have another go soon, and try and fix those irritations.

The original TIF was 21,160,688 bytes (compressed) and measured 3216 x 2136, I cropped it down to 1441 x 1345, and applied some Smart Sharpen. It is now a mere 2,419,632 bytes as a TIF and 2,561,246 bytes as a PNG:

Moon as a TIF

Moon as a PNG

--

<< Web Fantasticness Calling Hugo >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Moontastic Bruce Ure - 17/11
    Re: Moontastic Simon - 17/11
    - Deleted User Account - 9/08
       Lunstice Simon - 10/08