Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

'Domain Regret'
by Bruce Ure at 22:27 21/06/05 (Blogs::Bruce)
I think this has actually turned into an identifiable and distinct phenomenon for me, albeit not one that is taking over my life.
Years ago, before a decent domain became an absolute prerequisite for any serious business, us geeky mates used to sit around and come up with loads of domain names that would have been cool to register, but we didn't register any. We could have had boots.com, bbc.co.uk, abc.com, sex.com, poker.com -- you name it. We could all be rich on the back of it, and I don't know for sure but I bet there are people who will never have to work again because they had the foresight to do what we just talked about doing.

We didn't do it because we were either (a) on the moral high ground and preferred to leave such squatting (although it wasn't called that back then) to other, less 'nice', people, or (b) stupid.

Remember http://moo.se/ ? We nearly registered that but it would have taken a Swedish company and some money, yada yada, but I wish we had. It's gone now, of course, to a speculative domain buyer, and displays a parking sign. I think that's sad. Not that I would necessarily have done much with it either, but probably more than that.

Moo.se is not a good example of how we could have made loadsa money, but it is still one I have regret for not registering -- in fact possibly more so than the ones we could have made loads from -- because it is very, very cool, and going to waste.

I managed to register, on a whim, an excellent group of domains recently, which I'm absolutely gobsmacked were not already gone. They are not huge moneyspinners although I think they have great potential. I'm dying to disclose them, but I'm not quite ready. Watch this space.

:bu:

<< Richmond Park run Kinetic Pigeon Art >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
'Domain Regret' Bruce Ure - 21/06
    Re: 'Domain Regret' Steve - 21/06
       Re: 'Domain Regret' Bruce Ure - 21/06
    Re: 'Domain Regret' Simon - 22/06
       Re: 'Domain Regret' David Crowson - 22/06
          Re: 'Domain Regret' Simon - 22/06
             Re: 'Domain Regret' David Crowson - 22/06
                Re: 'Domain Regret' Steve - 22/06