If you want to run your own area of the site, then this is how it works.
1) We create you a user Group (or Groups), and a content Category (or Categories) with the configuration you need to support what you've said you want to do in your Community Area.
2) You use a simple web interface to manage the membership of your Group(s) and to post content to your area of the site.
3) Depending on the configuration you've asked for, other users may also be allowed to post content into your area. They might include every registered user of the site, or just the members of your chosen Group(s).
4) Also depending on the configuration you've asked for, the content posted may be visible to everyone (logged in or not), just those logged in, or just those who are in your Group(s).
5) If you want a particular look and feel that marks out your area from the rest of the site, that's also possible. We'll give you a template and some instructions, you make the template look the way you want it and we'll integrate it for you.
Some examples of how you might use the site - you could have an area where you post items of interest up and allow other people to comment on them.
Or, you could have an area where only you and your Group members can discuss between yourselves, either in public or private.
Or, you could have an area where anyone is allowed to submit content, but it must be approved by you before it's published.
Or some other combination.
There are many features of the software underpinning this site including email driven workflow, job requirement posting and online application, automatic email notification to users of new content, file attachments - all of which are configurable.
Rather than try to explain what every possible facility does and how it could be useful, instead you tell us what you think you need to do with a group of people and a website and we'll take it from there.
The following are examples of good ways for you to approach telling us about your requirements:
I am the clerk of the local Parish council, which has 23 members. We need somewhere private that I can put planning applications and upload associated files (like plans, drawings etc) for private discussion amongst ourselves. We'd also need a place to post notices that should be visible to the public.
I need a place where about 30 of my friends and I can chat together about motocross. Don't mind if it's public as anyone can join in.
I'm looking for a simple blogging area, where I can write stuff and everyone can read and comment to what I write. It'd be neat if people could subscribe by email to my stuff, so they got it in their inbox the next day.
Get the idea? You can use this form to send us your requests.
Novacaster Community Admin