Re: Egyptian Figurine
by John DelCampo at 00:32 08/09/14 (Forum::Community::General)
Simon,

First, below is what I sent back in August 2013. And since that time, I visited a homeowner near Albany, NY, who has a dolmen on his property . . . no question about it . . . ninety miles due north of the dolmen at North Salem, NY. Ancient Europeans were here in America building megalithic structures 3,000-to-4,000 years ago! I'll send photos if you tell me how you'd like to receive them.

Second, I recently purchased an Egyptian figurine (wooden) with hieroglyphs, and recognizing your expertise in such things, I wonder if you might like to try your hand ar transliterating or translating them? Again, I'm happy to send photos if you tell me how you'd like to receive them.

Best,
R/John Del Campo
Falls Church, Virginia

Simon,

We had such an interesting talk at Stonehenge several weeks ago. You asked for information concerning ancient megalithic structures in Putnam, New York, which I sent; but it seems you're not receiving my emails. So, I'm trying again.

R/John Del Campo
Falls Church, Virginia

-----Original Message-----
Date: 08/11/2013 10:54
To: ""
Subject: Re: Putnam's Stone Chambers . . . and more

Simon,

Just checking to confirm that you received my last email. There were a number of photo attachments, and I'm concerned they may have overwhelmed your system. If so, I can resend in smaller batches.

R/John Del Campo
Falls Church, Virginia

-----Original Message-----
Date: 08/09/2013 13:24
To: ""
Subject: Putnam's Stone Chambers . . . and more

Simon,

You may recall our discussion standing before the ancient stones of Stonehenge a week or so ago; we discussed, among other things, possible Neolithic or Iron Age artifacts in the United States, including the stone chambers of Putnam County, New York.

These chambers were constructed with megalithic ashlars, as you'll see in the attached photos. Furthermore, should you walk into any of them (there are at least 200 throughout the Hudson River Valley, in Putnam County alone; more throughout New England), as I have, you'd see the interiors are constructed with primitive corbelled arches, vice Roman arches or barrel vaults; and "yes," laid up dry.

Some ceiling stones exceed 18 feet in length, 3-4 feet in width, and 6-18 inches in depth----these are heavy, quarried stones!

As a kid, growing up in the area, I bought the conventional wisdom: "Colonial root cellars." However, as a grown man, I find this explanation implausible. Why? Because Yankee farmers had access to 17th and 18th Century technology; and they used it.

Real Colonial root cellars are made with undressed field-stones or bricks, which a man can easily heft in his own hands. Thestones are generally bonded with cement, and raised up in Roman arches or barrel vaults. And why not? If you're a farmer wresting a living from the wilderness, why on earth choose the more difficult, labor-intensive Neolithic technology?

Furthermore, a root cellar is not a warehouse; it's for the use of the farmer and his family. So, real root cellar tends to be small; it's generally built close to the farmhouse, opposite the kitchen; and sometimes into the foundation itself. New England Yankee farmers had a well-deserved reputation for practicality. But Putnam's stone chambers are impractically large (typical interior dimensions: 28' x 10' x 7'), bigger than needed to get a family through the winter; and there's rarely evidence of a nearby farmhouse, either now or in the past. Curious; no?

But, here's the kicker. Fruits and vegetables off-gas ethylene, which causes ripening, and eventual rot. A real root cellar includes a ventilator of some kind, a window or air-shaft, in addition to an entryway; otherwise, stored produce rots. But without exception, so far as I'm aware, Putnam's stone chambers are built sans ventilator. Each has a single entryway. Period. In other words, if they are indeed root cellars, then the builders went to extraordinary effort, and repeatedly used the same counterproductive design that could not achieve the presumed purpose. Did Yankee farmers not learn from their mistakes? That's certainly not their reputation.

And so, there's reason to think Putnam's stone chambers were not designed or intended to be root cellars; furthermore, each has an unmistakable aesthetic quality----beautiful, earth-sheltered, lenticular constructions in stone . . . and what beautiful stones!

Well, didthe Indians erect them? Nope. According to tribal elders, their ancestors found the chambers upon migrating into the Hudson River Valley, in antiquity; furthermore, Eastern Woodland Indians generally worked in wood and fiber, not stone. Their culture has no stone-working tradition.

So, who erected the stone chambers; and why? And while pondering that, please take a look at another attachment: the dolmen at North Salem, New York. The locals call it "Balanced Rock," though it rests on five peg stones . . . and that's me, leaning against the capstone.

Who built Putnam's stone chambers? It's just a guess; but I'd say it was the same people who erected the dolmen! . . . or perhaps, the fairy ring at Druid Hill, near the Merrimack River, Lowell, Massachusetts, which is my final attachment.

Please let me know what you think when time and interest permit. I have more if you're interested.

Best,
John

P.S. I hope the attachments don't overwhelm your system. But let me know if they do, and I'll reduce and resend them.
P.P.S. If you find this interesting, then ask me about the Pyrgos Pot, a neolithic pot from Cyprus that I believe to be coded with astronomical data. It was exhibited here, at the Smithsonian Institute (I have photos to send you), and the curator assured me I had no idea what I was talking about.

John F. Del Campo
Falls Church, Virginia

--
Malbranche

<< Mark Harris is a wanted crimin...