Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Mithras the Mediator
by Simon at 13:45 01/06/10 (Blogs::Simon)
Extract from http://www.backyardprofessor.com/the_masonic_scholar/2010/05/is-freemasonry-just-reborn-paganism-and-hence-antichristian.html reads:

"Harold Bayley demonstrated that Mithras of the Mithraic Mysteries [pre-Christian religion by several centuries] was known as the Mediator between Light and Darkness"

(Facebookey folks, click 'view original post' for more)

I hope I can track down the original source for this extract, because that's very interesting if it's borne out by the evidence.

And I don't just mean the frequent depictions of Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes as upwards and downward held torches shown either side of Mithras in the Tauromachic imagery - I've been wanting to find a reference that allows me to potentially link Orion with Mithras, aside from that.

Orion (and Ophiuchus, 180° away) are, in our age of the Great Year of Precession, halfway between the Vernal and Autumnal Equinox positions. The positions will become more precise as we approach 2100 and the VE and AE points drift still further westward.

I spy a quest...
--
simon

<< Death of Microsoft predicted, ... Stonehenge Redated >>
View Comments (Flat Mode) Printer Version
Mithras the Mediator Simon - 1/06
    Re: Mithras the Mediator Simon - 1/06