Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Megalithomania 2009 notes
by Simon at 10:56 26/05/09 (Blogs::Simon)
Notes from this year's conference.
Tim Hooker: Aratta civilisation of Ukraine dating to 22,000 BCE with proto-Sumerian writing found. Keywords for later Googling include Kamyana Mohyla, http://www.arattagar.co.uk, bragarnya, inertons, proto-Kitoi, Komsomolsk mounds, Trypillia/Cucuteni culture, Arkaim. Video of this talk is available online.

Robin Williamson: Tuatha de Danaan (James, I'll lend you the DVD of this)

Robin Heath: 5:12:13 London/Cardiff/Edinburgh, confirm druid cord => arctan(13/30) => 23° 25' 43"

Graham Hancock: Sri Lankan submerged ruins, Antillia = Taiwan, map of Ptolomeas Argentinae 1513, "Legendary Islands of the Ocean Sea" by Robert H Fuson.

[thoughtlink:// time, times and half a time = 3.5 * Great Year => Mayan 'age' = half a Great Year => end of 5th Age = 5 * half a Great Year = 64800 years => Toba?]

Marke Pauson: RILKO, check geometry proofs for figures shown, Luxor Inner Temple 88x44 MY, "Time Stands Still" by Critchlow.

Tom Brooks: Check http://www.prehistoric-geometry.co.uk/

Howard Crowhurst: archaeoastronomy of the Carnac and Brittany alignments. http://www.megalithes.info/. Ward Hill/Maes Howe as Great Year measure at co-latitude of Carnac.

Edmund Marriage: www.goldenageproject.org.uk

Robert Temple: http://www.sphinxmystery.info. Anubis as prototype for Sphinx rather than lion imagery.

Scroll of notes on "1° To Go" passed to HL, write article for GH's website, expect contact from J & HL, check obliquity equation epoch with HC.

Summary:

I go to these conferences to pick up new lines of investigation that might be interesting. They don't always come out of the lectures themselves, quite often they come out of conversations between them.

Grateful thanks to J for pointing me in the direction of http://www.thedreammasters.org/hopi/martingashweseoma.php to check out the reference to the headless god figure whose head travels around the sky.

--
simon

<< Installing QGIS 1.02-2 for Leo... Canada's Stonehenge (again) >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 10:56 26/05/09
Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Steve - 16:55 28/05/09
Absolutely 100% not intending to troll or offend, but are you convinced that the arrangement at Stonehenge is something more than just a bunch of stones that used to be arranged in a circle?

When I visited it last year, it just seemed to me to be a religious site as well as an ancient burial ground. It seems that you feel that there's more to it, right?

--
stevepa

Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 18:19 28/05/09
No offence taken :-)

Yes, I believe the evidence is strongly in favour of it being a lunar-solar calendar with eclipse-prediction capabilities.

It's more than just a simple solstice marker - for instance, the long axis of the Station Stone rectangle is oriented on the extreme southern moonrise in an 18.6 year cycle. I've witnessed the effect of this for myself.

Once you've got a culture noticing and marking things like an 18.6 year moon cycle, you're into more than basic 'bung a post in the ground' astrometrics.

One of the earliest reference we've got (Diodorus, 50BC) says:

… Hecateus [~350BC - SGB] and certain others say that in the region beyond the land of the Celts there lies in the ocean an island no smaller than Sicily. This island… is inhabited by the Hyperboreans… there is also on the island a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo and a notable temple adorned with many votive offerings and spherical in shape. They also say how the moon viewed from this island appears to be but a little distance from the earth… the god visits the island every 19 years, the period in which the return of the stars to the same place in the heavens is accomplished; and for this reason the 19-year period is called by the Greeks the year of Meton.

... and he's almost certainly talking about Stonehenge ('precinct of Apollo') and Callanish ('god visits the island') and these monuments share many commonalities (not least a common measuring unit in their construction).

We've had the same inquisitive brains for over 50,000 years, that's a lot of time to think about the sky - especially when there's no telly yet.

--
simon

Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Steve - 18:45 28/05/09
Interesting. I've always personally thought that our ancestors were a lot smarter than we sometimes give them credit for. Especially since their senses weren't being dulled by toxic lead poisoning and other industrial fumes. :-)

Given the long lead time in which Stonehenge grew up, it seems like there was plenty of time beforehand for somebody to notice and mark the 18.6 year cycle then. Nothing mysterious or other-worldly - just basic attention to astronomy and probably linking it with the religious beliefs of the time.

One other reason I'm asking is that I've a couple of friends coming over from the USA to stay for a night or two in early July, and they've expressed interest in visiting Amersham. We might swing by Stonehenge on the way and I can at least give them a little more than the potted history guide. :-)

--
stevepa

Re: Megalithomania 2009 notes Simon - 09:43 29/05/09
If you find yourself en route to Stonehenge, feel free to drop me a line in advance and I'd be happy to act as tour guide :-)
--
simon