Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist
by Bruce Ure at 18:17 11/05/09 (Blogs::Bruce)
<catharsis>
Bristol Cameras has got to be THE most piss-awful couldn't-give-a-shit company it's been my displeasure to have to deal with this millennium.
I called Bristol Cameras this morning about a £1,460 lens, to ask if they had it in stock, and whether they could deliver it tomorrow if I ordered it today. Which they did, and they could.

So I ordered it on the Bristol Cameras web site, and just to check it had been dispatched, I rang Bristol Cameras just now.

No, it hadn't been dispatched. Er, but you said in stock, and next day! Oh but that's for PHONE orders. You should have rung back. Oh. Well given that you didn't TELL me I had to ring back perhaps you would just refund my NEXT DAY delivery charge and we'll say no more about it.

Oh we can't do that, if you read the small print on the Bristol Cameras web site you'll see that next day means "the next day after we post it" not the "next day after you order it".

Yes but I ordered it at 9:54AM, was that not enough time for you to send it out from the Bristol Cameras store? Not to mention I've taken tomorrow off work to stay in for the delivery, AND I've arranged to go out to shoot with said lens tomorrow afternoon. Now I've got to cancel all that and it's a major pain!

Well sorry but we process the previous day's orders at 9AM. It won't be processed until tomorrow.

Then it's not NEXT FUCKING DAY IS IT.

So I asked to speak to the Bristol Cameras customer services manager, who was bewilderingly unsympathetic until I mentioned the cost of the lens... at which point he said Oh! I think there's been some crossed wires here! Hang on a minute. And he went off for a few minutes, and I thought Ah, it's all going to be sorted, they finally recognise me as a valuable customer who spends stupid amounts of cash on big pieces of glass... and they know that if they handle this right I'll want to come back the next time I want to buy a stupidly expensive big piece of glass. A customer for life. I was actually feeling a slight glow of specialness.

But no! I couldn't believe it. He came back and said, well I asked the managing director of Bristol Cameras and he said no, we can't do it.

After I'd finished spluttering and excuse-me?-ing and good-griefing and picked my chin up off the floor I tried to explain about things like 'goodwill' and 'a bad taste' and 'customer service' and 'inconvenience' and 'repeat business', but he just wouldn't shift.

So I said, in that case I have zero confidence in the after sales service of Bristol Cameras but more to the point I will not do business with a company who treats their customers like this: please cancel the order immediately.

So he did.

Is it me or is that spectacularly unenlightened?

Bristol Cameras would rather lose an order, which was probably going to net them what, 50 quid? 100? 200? than knock 20 quid off to keep a high-spending customer happy whom THEY had given duff info to.

When billions of people come here after google's excellent indexing picks up this article about how Bristol Cameras' customer service sucks, and Bristol Cameras don't care about their customers, some of them will (hopefully) decide not to place orders with them and they will lose even more.

Unbefuckinglievable.

I'm going for a lie down.

Yours,
Extremely pissed off of New Malden
</catharsis>

--

PS. Said lens, whilst £1,460 quid, is being bought on the proceeds of selling another lens, which originally cost far more than that, for about the same amount. I only mention this in case anyone thinks I'm stupidly rich or something, cos I'm not.

PPS. Not sure if I mentioned, but the company is Bristol Cameras.

<< London Marathon Blog 2009 Moonography >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 18:17 11/05/09
- Deleted User Account - 15:51 12/05/09
-
Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 15:57 12/05/09
lol, yes. New Malden actually features in the original RP (WHY did they try and remake it??), as one of his morning lateness excuses. I think it's 'escaped puma at'. But then so do lots of suburban towns... it's quite weird watching it actually.

--

- Deleted User Account - 16:06 12/05/09
-
Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Julian Freeman - 09:52 14/05/09
Oo this list perhaps?

Ep.1 "Eleven minutes late, staff difficulties, Hampton Wick."
Ep.1 "Eleven minutes late, signal failure at Vauxhall."
Ep.1 "Eleven minutes late, staff shortages, Nine Elms."
Ep.1 "Eleven minutes late, derailment of container truck, Raynes Park."
Ep.1 "Eleven minutes late, seasonal manpower shortages, Clapham Junction."
Ep.2 "Eleven minutes late, defective junction box, New Malden."
Ep.4 "Eleven minutes late, overheated axle at Berrylands."
Ep.4 "Eleven minutes late, defective axle at Wandsworth."
Ep.5 "Eleven minutes late, somebody had stolen the lines at Surbiton."
Ep.6 "Twenty-two minutes late, black ice at Norbiton."
Ep.7 "Twenty-two minutes late, obstacles on the line at Berrylands."
Ep.8 "Twenty-two minutes late, badger ate a junction box at New Malden."
Ep.9 "Twenty-two minutes late, fed up by train delays, came by bike. Slow puncture at Peckham."
Ep.10 "Twenty-two minutes late, escaped puma, Chessington North."

From http://fantasticjournal.blogspot.com/2009/04/fall-and-rise-of-suburbia.html
--
Julian

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Simon - 10:03 14/05/09
Excellent - it's only when you see them listed out like that that you can truly appreciate Reggie's descent into madness :-)
--
simon
Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 10:14 14/05/09
rofl! Sheer genius.

In fact I'm going to watch the entire series again.

--

- Deleted User Account - 10:47 14/05/09
-
Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Steve - 07:28 18/05/09
I plan to watch it again myself when I can find a DVD set that has subtitles. Or captions.

It's a bit odd, but understandable, that sometimes I have to order the USA R1 editions just to get the subtitles on UK TV shows.

By the way, what was the lens you ordered, Bruce?

--
stevepa

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 11:18 18/05/09
It's one of these.

Even allowing for the Bruce Hyperbole Factor, this is an astonishing piece of glass... I'm blown away.

Here are some shots from Asha's school fair, reduced to 1280px wide with a tad of sharpening, along with a 100% crop of a part of each, which are with NO sharpening, NO filters, NO processing of any kind, and this is HAND-HELD remember, MINIMUM zoom 70mm... and some of them at 1/2000 of a second.

[Update... I've moved them on request, if you want to see them drop me a mail :-]

--

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Steve - 11:25 18/05/09
Yes, that's an amazing lens. Along with the 12-24 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8, it's the top three lens in the Nikon pro's arsenal.

There's an 80-200mm f/2.8 that is reputedly just as good but cheaper since it omits the VR feature. Frankly I'd rather have the VR anyway.

Let me know when it arrives so I can come round to your house and mug you and nick it.

--
stevepa

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 11:44 18/05/09
Er... it's arrived... I took those photos with it.

VR like totally rocks. I have a Nikon 18-200 VR which is a 'prosumer' lens but it's a casualty of my not so long ago move to a full frame DSLR so it's going on eBay as soon as it comes back from a service at Nikon.

I wish the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 had VR. It's less important at lower focal lengths, natch, but still would be Most Excellent. I am awaiting an insurance replacement for my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, which is damn good but not a patch on the Nikon, or even the new Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM. So that's 24-200 covered, and I have a 2x teleconverter, and a 15-30, and a 50mm f/1.4, and a 105mm f/2.8 macro...

Oh no it's turned into a lens-waving session.

Oh for endless wells of cash though eh.

--

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Steve - 11:52 18/05/09
Oh, thought you borrowed the lens for those pictures. I didn't read the thread carefully enough.

I also have the 18-200mm. It is a great walk-around lens. I use it on my studio photography course and it works great because it's sharp at the studio apertures which are typically f/8 or f/11.

And my other lens is a 50mm prime f/1.8 which is tremendously light and sharp. That used to be my walkaround lens before I ordered the 18-200mm. I'll likely still use it though.

I really want a Nikon D700 and a 12-24mm lens though. I can see my bank balance
going down to the tune of £3K as a result.

There are rumours that Nikon are working on VR for the 12-24 and 24-70 so all things are possible. But I think VR is more important at the >100mm range as you say.

Have you changed cameras? You had a D2X, right, which wasn't full frame if I recall.

--
stevepa

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 12:00 18/05/09
Yes the D2X is small frame. I got a D700 and it's just amazing. Sold the D2X on eBay recently.

--

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Steve - 12:26 18/05/09
Oh, man. I'm really jealous of you now. The D700 is amazing.

Unfortunately I won't have the funds to improve my gear until August at the earliest. With Jack and Natasha coming over on my budget and I'm entertaining Natasha for 2 weeks taking her out around the UK and maybe France, I'm a little cash strapped right now.

I wonder how much I could get for a spare lung or kidney?

--
stevepa

Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 12:36 18/05/09
It's only as amazing as the guy pressing the shutter, remember. The D700 is far too good a camera for me. I just love the feel of serious, quality kit.

I've taken some of my best photos on my iPhone :-)

--

- Deleted User Account - 15:37 18/05/09
-
- Deleted User Account - 11:59 04/06/09
-
Re: Bristol Cameras just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 12:46 04/06/09
Yes I finished watching the entire series late last week... took pictures of Grotmaster lorry :-)

--