Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Global air traffic over a 24h period
by Simon at 16:20 22/01/09 (Blogs::Simon)
... condensed into one minute, based on large civil aircraft transponder data. You won't believe your eyes.
http://radar.zhaw.ch/resources/airtraffic.wmv
--
simon
<< Precession, gyroscopes and the... Stonehenge Visitor Centre lean... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Global air traffic over a 24h period Simon - 16:20 22/01/09
Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Bruce Ure - 16:24 22/01/09
Bloody hell!

:-(

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period David Crowson - 16:36 22/01/09
Wonder what those ones that zoom across the top are ? Spy planes perhaps, but they seem to speed up to unreal velocities....

--
bombholio

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Bruce Ure - 16:42 22/01/09
That's yer perspective innit. They're going the same speed as all the others, but they look quicker cos of the projection.

--

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Simon - 16:43 22/01/09
It's Santa :)

Actually it's an effect of the map projection.
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 17:45 22/01/09
-
Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Dominic Search - 03:55 23/01/09
> I think it could be time for a new world soon what with all that pollution. :-(

http://999itstime.com/ :-)

Thanks for joining us Si... of all the similar-ish campaigns I seen come & go over the years, I think this is the one that will galvanise large-scale public support... if it doesn't then we really are d.o.o.m.e.d!

Even before launching on Wed, we've had a dizzying array of calibre projects and big players talking to us about possible collaboration. This could easily snowball into super massive... or fizzle out as a dead dream... we will have a clearer picture in a month or so. Exciting times :)

--
thoth

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Simon - 09:38 23/01/09
All the best with the campaign, have you got a promo web logo I can put up on Renew-Reuse-Recycle?

... and if you do any consciousness-raising press videos (eg for YouTube), please let me know so I can run them in a news story on the site.

Only last night, a friend waved a huge capacity memory stick in front of me and the single thing I could think of was "All that knowledge, stored on something that's no bloody use at all when the electricity's off".

I might start writing stuff down on clay tablets :-)
--
simon

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Dominic Search - 10:16 24/01/09
Cheers... and yes please do use the logo. Positive TV are documenting the whole things and Pixel Addicts amongst many others are involvement, so there will be promo video a plenty :)

Any idea where I can lay my hands on legion of stone engravers?.. in 5,000 years I still want people to be looking back and remembering today as the Age of Stupid!

Dom
Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Simon - 10:20 27/01/09
Stone engravers eh? Fancy knocking up one of these?

Mer-em-MaatMer-em-Maat
(bigger)

In 5000 years, we'll be - literally - legendary.

We are "Atlantis".
--
simon

Re: Global air traffic over a 24h period Dominic Search - 15:18 27/01/09
LOL - excellent :)

--
thoth