Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Working model of the Antikythera device
by Simon at 13:37 12/12/08 (Blogs::Simon)
Fantastic fully working model incorporating everything we know about it to date, built by a British museum curator (Yay boffins!)

--
simon
<< Samhain 1AD - an essay on the ... One for Bruce >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Working model of the Antikythera device Simon - 13:37 12/12/08
Re: Working model of the Antikythera device Dominic Search - 02:41 13/12/08
Very cool... as Daevid Allen observed, just goes to show there is nothing that's new, under the sun, except that which is forgotten. :)
Re: Working model of the Antikythera device Simon - 09:09 13/12/08
It's just brilliant - in order to design something like the original AD you need knowledge from observation, the ability to visualise, maths and engineering skill.

There must have been years of prototyping and many less sophisticated models.

And we've found one corroded example at the bottom of the sea. I wonder what happened to the others...
--
simon

Re: Working model of the Antikythera device Jonathan Tuppeny - 09:31 13/12/08
As Ian Dury observed 'there ain't half been some clever bastards'. In this instance the original engineer and the guy who's figured it out again.

This is absolutely astounding - a fabulous piece of work. I heard about the antikythera mechanism years ago but I didn't think there was enough of it left to figure out what it did.

As you point out there must have been other examples - probably all melted down at some point to fashion some sort of weapon.

jht

Re: Working model of the Antikythera device Simon - 09:50 13/12/08
Take a look at:

the Xray pics of the original.
--
simon