Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

BTHomeHub intermittent wireless
by Simon at 20:39 03/12/08 (Blogs::Simon)
For reGoogling later.

BTHomeHub2 straight out of the box, wireless broadcast is intermittent, leading to inability to connect from either Windows PC or OS X.

Solution: log into the hub via Ethernet link, change the Channel from Automatic to (say) 11 and restart. Fixed.

--
simon
<< Bronze Age amber necklace foun... Venus, Jupiter and Stonehenge >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 20:39 03/12/08
- Deleted User Account - 21:10 03/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 09:00 04/12/08
It's one of those shiny black curved things about 6" square, with blue glowy icons in the top right corner.

It's also not mine - it's a neighbour's.
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 11:00 04/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 11:44 04/12/08
This one's fresh out of the box with a new BT Broadband package to someone whose never had broadband before.

I was on the point of telling him to send it back as DOA until I happened across a suggestion that changing the channel was suitable magic.

After that, my Mac laptop could see and connect to it fine, steady as a rock. Mind you, his XP laptop with a Belkin cardbus wifi adapter is still having trouble.

"There it is! Oh, no it's gone again. Oh wait, here's a list of 9 other wireless networks apart from the one that's broadcasting from two feet away. Think I'll crash now (C-A-D). Hi, ooh ooh, there it is. Ah now, sorry, it's gone again."

This isn't just shite wrapped up in crap and topped with a frosting of vomit, this is *MS* shite wrapped up in crap and topped with a frosting of vomit.

While I'm ranting :-) I love the new MS "I'm a PC!" adverts.

"I'm a human being, not a human thinking or a human doing... a human being".

Yeah, right, you're not doing anything useful, you're not thinking anything useful, you're just being frustrated at every turn.

--
simon

Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Bruce Ure - 11:55 04/12/08
FWIW my experience of WiFi on windows has (also) been that it is incredibly patchy. Sometimes changing the router (or whatever it is) fixes it, sometimes the card/adapter (or more usually card type), sometimes the whole damn computer (which generally changes the card type anyway...).

I sympathise. Bloody nightmare.

Must look out for them ads... I just don't watch telly any more [real-time -- I use uknova and thebox.bz as well as iPlayer etc though]. Actually, the ads are on youtube, prolly.

--

- Deleted User Account - 12:09 04/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 12:12 04/12/08
2003 AD design

2003 AD was a design classic, not quite on a par with 1964 AD but still it had its moments...
--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 12:15 04/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Bruce Ure - 12:17 04/12/08
Good luck with the move, if you take it.

I find my work laptop (Intel wifi nic I think... tappity tap.. yes) craps out on a regular basis at home but my macbook, mac pro, mac mini, sony vaio, iPhone, iMac, all behave Wi-Fine, pretty much all of the time. Sheesh. Maybe it is just Intel. I don't think the Apple wifi chipset is intel (tappity tap... yes, looks like they use Broadcom and Atheros).

--

- Deleted User Account - 12:22 04/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Bruce Ure - 12:42 04/12/08
<sad>It always pissed me off that the wiry-haired scientist whose name I forget (Reverend Jim from Taxi... Christopher Lloyd that's it) referred to that figure as "one point twenny-one jiggawatts". For one thing, as any fule kno, it's a hard G not a soft one, but mainly, the 0.21 part of that number is so NOT "twenty-one" anythings.</sad>

--

Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 12:59 04/12/08
That's the kind of pedantry we like, keep it up :-)

My own bugbear is lose/loose. On the news last night there were pictures of protesters in India carrying placards saying:

"If you are politician, you are looser"

... which may be true, but it's not quite the same concept.
--
simon

Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Bruce Ure - 13:02 04/12/08
And DON'T get me started on apostrophe's!

--

Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 13:44 04/12/08
How do you feel about flabbergasterisks and stupendapoints?

Flabbergasterisk and Stupendapoint - punctuation for the emphatic

--
simon
Attachments...
JPG image (21 K) Flabbergasterisk and stupendapoint
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Bruce Ure - 14:04 04/12/08
Eeeeuw! lol.

--

Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Dominic Search - 00:39 14/12/08
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 09:59 14/12/08
Excellent. I shall use that a lot :-)

--
simon

- Deleted User Account - 13:02 04/12/08
-
Re: BTHomeHub intermittent wireless Simon - 12:10 04/12/08
The ad's also on Facebook, along with an "I'm a PC" group, which I've just poked with a smelly stick :-)
--
simon