Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem (updated)
by Simon at 09:57 09/12/08 (Blogs::Simon)
Prompted by a statement I encountered that the three belt stars of Orion point to Sirius (true) which rises at the same point on the horizon as the Sun (hmmm), but only in the Winter Solstice season (?), I felt the need to check that out.
It's not true, but in discovering that I discovered something more interesting.

The solar azimuth at dawn on the Winter Solstice in our age is 128° (to the nearest degree). However, Sirius's dawn azimuth is 116°.

Now, Sirius's dawn azimuth doesn't change much over time, it's directly related to its celestial declination (effectively its 'latitude' on the celestial sphere) which is - while not fixed - stable over long periods of time.

However, the Sun's declination does change - moving from +23.5° to -23.5° over the course of a year - being at its lowest at the Winter Solstice.

That means there must be a day in the year when Sirius rises before the Sun and the Sun's declination is equal to Sirius's, meaning that their dawn azimuth will be the same and Sirius will have indicated the impending dawn's sunrise position exactly.

The statement I encountered mentioned that the effect of seeing Sirius rise where the Sun would rise at the Winter Solstice was more pronounced around 2000 years ago, and used this point to link into the story of the Three Wise Men (the belt stars of Orion) following a star (Sirius) to locate the Son of God (Sun).

I decided to check if I'd overlooked something by seeing if the alignment does occur around Winter Solstice 1AD - it doesn't. Sirius's dawn azimuth is 115° while the Sun's remains 128°

But, realising that the Sun would have a declination equal to Sirius's at some point earlier in the year (this happens twice, actually, but only once when Sirius rises before the Sun), I tracked back and found when it would be.

It's on November 8th 1AD, or Samhain (one of the cross-quarter days in the pagan/Celtic calendar).

I thought I was content with that. On Samhain, Sirius preceeded by Orion's belt stars indicates the forthcoming rising position of the Sun quite precisely.

However, I wasn't prepared to find that there was the "Star of Bethlehem" (a triple quadruple conjunction of Venus, Jupiter, Mercury and Mars) rising immediately before the Sun on the same day.

Samhain 1AD Dawn Star of BethlehemSamhain 1AD Dawn and the Star of Bethlehem

Updated: That'll teach me to zoom in! In the original version of this article I'd only spotted the triple conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and Mercury. It was simply that I'd not zoomed in far enough to see that Mars was also part of the conjunction, making it quadruple, not triple.
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (59 K) Samhain 1AD Dawn Star of Bethlehem
<< Precessional Year Ready Reckon... Working model of the Antikythe... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem (updated) Simon - 09:57 09/12/08
Re: Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem Bruce Ure - 11:08 03/12/08
Bloody hell, nice detective work Simon!

(Especially impressed you managed to find a photo of the event :-)

--

Re: Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem Jon Maidment - 15:21 03/12/08
Fab :-)

Question tho: how many similar events (not necessarily involving the triple conjuntion but something equally likely to be remembered or recorded in some sort of folk lore) happened around a hundred years either side of that time, or can this be used as a "probable date marker" for some sort of event, even if that event is only the recording of it in folk lore.
If that makes any sense at all ;-)
--
JM

Re: Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem Simon - 16:44 03/12/08
Good question!

I think the key to understanding all this is to realise that the knowledge transferred is all about the sky, the movements of it and the symbolism associated with each 'age' of the precessional cycle and nothing to do with actual individuals, historic or messianic.

So in this story, the allegorical figure of Christ (the solar deity) is being associated with the dawn of a new Piscean age, and the closing of the previous Age of Aries. All the symbolism in the Christ myth points this way - it's fish, fish, fish and more fish :-)

The actual astronomical event class in question can be described as:

"If you look in the sky on this date of any year, you'll see that the three stars of Orion's belt rise first, followed by Sirius (which they point to) and then the Sun which rises where Sirius did earlier that night. This is because the Sun on this day of the year has the same declination as Sirius."

And:

"In this *particular* year, there is a triple quadruple conjunction - which is special and rare - and so we (the astronomer-priests in charge) have determined that this will be the marker for the imminent start of the Age of Pisces"

The first of these elements is part of the humdrum annual cycle of the year. The *second* is a far more signficant event and - critically - can be predicted with certainty in advance unlike (say) a comet, supernova or other random celestial event.

In 2AD (or 4BC or 100BC or...) there's a certainty that element #1 will occur, but only in 1AD does #2 happen at the same time.

The date of birth of any particular historical figure (such as a messianic leader) is actually entirely immaterial. The western calendar doesn't date from a physical birth, its start point is tied to a specific astronomical event - in the same way that the Mayan calendar's end is similarly tied to a different specific astronomical event.

Fragments of the characteristics of the key event have ended up being mythologised, including the later conflation of historical beings with allegorical concepts.

Note to self: This triple quadruple conjunction involving Mars plus the same three planets that attended the Sun's virgin birth at the start of the precessional cycle in 10880BC is interesting because Saturn was excluded then too (being on the other side of the sky, with the Moon)

Saturn/Cronos and the Moon, Vernal Equinox 10880BCSaturn/Cronos and the Moon at the Vernal Equinox in 10880BC, on the opposite side of the sky from where the action (the virgin birth of the Sun) is taking place, attended by Mercury, Venus and Jupiter/Zeus

... and this may be the source of the overthrow of Cronos by Zeus mythology that ended the Greek "Golden Age". I've come across conjunctions = Star of Bethlehem theories before, but they've usually involved the Jupiter/Saturn trigon.

Updated: it's a quadruple, not triple, conjunction.
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (84 K) Saturn and the Moon on the opposite side of the sky at the start of the Precessional Cycle
- Deleted User Account - 17:55 03/12/08
-
Re: Samhain 1AD - quadruple, not triple, conjunction Simon - 10:03 09/12/08
Heh - revisiting this I realised that this is a quadruple, not just a triple, conjunction involving Mars as well as Mercury, Venus and Jupiter.

I failed to spot it because (duh) I hadn't zoomed in far enough to see Mars.

A few days earlier, the Moon would have also been near this group which puts every one of the major luminaries on one side of the sky with only Saturn left out (near the Sun's summer solstice position over 115° away).

Quadruple conjunctions are even rarer than triples.
--
simon

Re: Samhain 1AD - quadruple, not triple, conjunction Jon Maidment - 20:43 10/12/08
it prompts the question: when has their been the grooviest conjunction (which I guess means the most or the brightest, so it could include bright stars in the background), and is any weird shit alledged to have happened then (or is that just in the movies)?
--
JM
Re: Samhain 1AD - quadruple, not triple, conjunction Simon - 10:08 11/12/08
You need to decide in advance what bright stars you're interested in including - they'll all have to be close the the ecliptic, and four bright stars come to mind - Antares, Spica, Regulus and Aldebaran in the constellations of Scorpius, Virgo, Leo and Taurus respectively. Regulus has associations of being a 'royal' star in mythology, signifying the birth of kings.

Having made that choice, we can start at the beginning of the current precessional cycle (Winter Solstice 10880BC) and see if there's anything interesting going on.

At this time, the Sun's winter solstice point was where its summer solstice point is today - ie above Orion, between Gemini and Taurus.

Now the Sun has exactly one conjunction with any star on the ecliptic every year - because the Sun appears to travel around the ecliptic exactly once per year.

Regulus is the first bright star the Sun will pass after the 10880BC Winter Solstice, about 2 months later. If I wind forward the time from Winter Solstice, I notice that there's a triple conjunction in the offing, which takes place 52 days after WS:

10880BC triple conjunction in Leo10880BC Triple Conjunction in Leo, 52 days after Winter Solstice

Is this significant? It's not really that close to Regulus (about 13° away).

The Sun's going to get a lot closer to Regulus over the next week or so, but by that time Mercury will be well on its way to its maximum eastern elongation (ie distance away from the Sun) and won't be part of the conjunction any more.

Venus, like Mercury, is within Earth's orbit so it doesn't ever stray that far from the Sun - more than Mercury does though - Venus can get up to 45° away whereas Mercury can manage only about 24°. It moves more slowly, and by its position relative to the Sun I can tell it's going to get closer to it the next few weeks pass, so it'll still be in the right area.

Jupiter moves far more slowly and in a different way (further away, and it's outside Earth's orbit rather than insider it), so I can tell it'll pretty much stay put and the Sun (and Venus) will get closer to it as the Sun itself heads towards Regulus.

Which all means that when the Sun is near Regulus it's going to still be conjunct with Venus and Jupiter. The Moon won't be involved though, it's approaching full and will be on the opposite side of the sky.

Here's a QT Movie - try stepping through it frame by frame to get an idea of what's happening.

Conjunctions are frequent, but the higher the number of planets involved and the closer their separation the less common the event.

It is worth seeing when the most remarkable ones occur though, and I'll have a go at that (it will take some time!).
--
simon

Attachments...
JPG image (19 K) Triple conjunction in Leo, 10880BC
QuickTime [.mov, .qt] (303 K) 10880BC conjunction movie
Re: Samhain 1AD - quadruple, not triple, conjunction Jon Maidment - 10:24 11/12/08
thought it might, I guess it's a job for AI to answer, or a long manual search, rather than the cuurent approach of pick interesting dates and see what's there, please don't waste days on it at my request!
--
JM
Re: Samhain 1AD - quadruple, not triple, conjunction Simon - 11:50 11/12/08
No no, I insist that I make it my life's quest :-)
--
simon
Re: Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem (updated) Dominic Search - 03:04 10/12/08
Very nice... good to see you're still actively perusing these lines of research :)

As Venus is involved, I wonder if there's anything in Uriels Machine about this event? A while since I read it, but Robert Lomas is big on the Venus / calendar / ancient knowledge trip.

--
Dom

Re: Samhain 1AD - an essay on the Star of Bethlehem (updated) Simon - 17:17 10/12/08
Must re-read UM sometime.... nearly finished Fraser's Golden Bough at long last and it'll be an easy read after that :-)
--
simon