Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

Booted off internet and progammes
by Leslie Tomlinson at 14:18 01/10/08 (Forum::Technical Advice::General)
Getting kicked off the internet when trying to watch some video clips.
and video editing suite crashes when capturing video.
when i try to watch video clips on the net from some sites "eg holiday web sites" i am being kicked off the web.
Also trying to capture video from sony mini dv recorder using windvd creater 2.using a fire wire,the device is being recognised by the computer,but as soon as i try to capture the video to software it shuts down the software. I have used this method before with no problems.
have uninstalled and reinstalled the sotware and relevant drivers but no luck.
Are these two problems related, and how can i fix them? --
Les
<< localhost.localdomain and send... Routing between network cards ... >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
Booted off internet and progammes Leslie Tomlinson - 14:18 01/10/08
Re: Booted off internet and progammes Simon - 18:00 01/10/08
Interesting - what version of Windows and what spec machine?

When you say "kicked off", do you mean the browser's crashing or that your connection's just going dead (unable to reach anywhere)?

Things I'd try for a start:

1) Different firewire cable
2) Reseat RAM and cards in PC

Cheers
--
simon

Re: Booted off internet and progammes Leslie Tomlinson - 16:47 06/10/08
Simon, thanks for the reply . been away for afew days sorry .
my machine spec is AMD athlon 3200+ 2.19GHz
1.5GB of ram upgraded since first post.
160gig hard drive.
using ie6.
Added extra ram since first post but this has not solved the problem. fire wire worked fine on last use, about 12 months ago not been used since, dont have another one to try.
computer recognises the device with the wire but programme shuts down only when tying to capture video. can capture using usb but quality is much reduced.--
do you think the problem with my browser closing down when trying to watch some video clips is linked?
Les
Re: Booted off internet and progammes Simon - 17:05 06/10/08
If you can't do a firewire cable swap to check it's not just that, you're pretty much condemned to a fingers-crossed reinstall.

At that point I'd try to get hold of a spare hard drive (try Freecycle in your area) big enough for you to do a fresh OS install from scratch on the machine without nuking your existing setup. If the problem persists with the fresh OS, it's probably hardware.

Did you try re-seating all the cards and RAM in the PC? Are you positive your RAM is OK (lots of free memtester software on the 'net)?

As for the browser crashing when viewing particular videos - if they're all from the same website it may not actually be the videos themselves (I've seen bad Javascript and mad HTML code take out browsers in the past). Do the same videos also kill Firefox?

Post a URL that crashes your setup so I can see if it kills any of my systems.

--
simon

Re: Booted off internet and progammes Ryan - 11:13 03/10/08
trying to capture video from sony mini dv recorder?, you can try getframe, extract single frame from video at specified time. You can extract video parameters: video width, video height, movie length, fps. Result video shots can be saved as jpg, png, bmp, gif.

-- Ryan