Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist
by Bruce Ure at 14:02 24/07/08 (Blogs::Bruce)
Basically I'm in favour of the CC, but this has pissed me off.

If I leave the congestion charge zone somewhere between 06:59:50 and 07:00:10, how can I find out whether I was actually 'caught'? My watch might not be atomically-accurate, and even if it is I might not be able to tell accurately enough which side of the line my number plate was at exactly 07:00:00.

The official answer, from a TFL droid I just spoke to, is "You can't. We have no way of checking whether you owe the charge or not; we just get the penalty charge notices a couple of days afterwards."

What a shame the technology doesn't exist to allow this to be able to happen. Oh hang on, it does, it would be an utter piece of cake to do this. Better still, if you're in any doubt, you pay it, and if your plate doesn't appear on the database, they don't take your payment.

Except, oh hang on, they'd lose loads of money from all the people who'd rather pay it to be on the safe side than risk the £50 fine.

This really sucks.

I wonder how much they make every day from people whose plates don't appear. I'd bet it's many tens or even hundreds of people.

--

<< Gabriella Cilmi Best. iPhone. Apps. Ever. >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 14:02 24/07/08
- Deleted User Account - 16:18 24/07/08
-
Re: A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist David Crowson - 19:17 28/07/08
Best explanation yet as to why I don't want a contract there (I've used it twice today:)

--
bombholio

Re: A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist Bruce Ure - 19:37 28/07/08
Shirley bikes are exempt?

And shirley 8ukp per day is way less than the extra you would earn by working in central London?

But there are many other good reasons for not wanting a contract there :-)

--

Re: A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist David Crowson - 01:10 29/07/08
They are, not my point.

I much prefer the lifestyle here than there that's all... apart from the mosquitos...

Come to think of it _this_ is also a silly place, but at least they have shops selling, err, compensators :)

--
bombholio

- Deleted User Account - 09:19 29/07/08
-
Re: A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist David Crowson - 09:31 29/07/08
>Just imagine it, free parking in town, drive right through the middle of any city/town/village within 50 miles of home - for absolutely nothing!!!

No need to imagine m8, I am a biker I do that already :)

--
bombholio

Re: A small feature of the Congestion Charge just made my shitlist David Crowson - 09:33 29/07/08
> I think Dave has a similar, but different, situation in Amsterdam

Yes, dodging death defying tourists on my 5 minute commute , then recklessy chilling out on the stoop outside home ;-p

--
bombholio