Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.

Login or Register

Powered by
Powered by Novacaster

A new astronaut enters the history books
by Gordon Hundley at 16:37 21/06/04 (Blogs::Gordon)
Mike Melvill has become the world's first astronaut not sponsored by a government agency. The news desks haven't grasped the significance of this yet, although on-site CNN reporter Miles O'Brien got it.
--
DrGoon
TACK>>HEAD are back >>
View Comments (Threaded Mode) Printer Version
A new astronaut enters the history books Gordon Hundley - 16:37 21/06/04
Re: A new astronaut enters the history books David Crowson - 16:41 21/06/04
Erm , Dennis Tito ?

--
bombholio

Re: A new astronaut enters the history books David Crowson - 18:47 21/06/04
I suppose he was russian sponsored.....

Melville is Dr Cochran from StarTrek: First Encounters :D

--
bombholio

Re: A new astronaut enters the history books Simon - 18:38 21/06/04
Any particular comments by O'Brien worth mentioning? CNN.com want me to sign up for a NewsPass before they'll show me their coverage, so I've had to be content with what looks like an amateur video on the BBC site.

(PS - I've promoted your root article to the front page of the site)
--
simon

Re: A new astronaut enters the history books Gordon Hundley - 05:19 30/06/04
"Betty, it was something else, it was a little piece of history here, actually a significant piece of space history. Let's see, there's Alan Shepard, Yuri Gagarin and now Mike Melvill, of all people, 62 years old, originally from South Africa, just got his astronaut's wings pinned onto him. But he's the first person to wear astronaut wings that are of a civilian nature."

"He greased it, in pilot's terms, did really well, walked out and was greeted by the designer of this craft, the aviation legend Burt Rutan, as well as the sugar daddy for this project, Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft, who staked him to about $20 million or so to make all this happen. Now $20 million, that is just pennies on the dollar by -- when you consider what NASA pays for a space flight. Space shuttle mission is about $500 million, $20 million got an entire space program going and Mike Melvill got to relate to all of us what it was like."

-- Miles O'Brien (not the Chief Petty Officer)

Re: A new astronaut enters the history books David Crowson - 16:22 30/06/04
After watching a programme about him last night , I'd definitely add Chuck Yaegar to that list...first man to break the sound barrier, and the man who trained the Apollo astronauts...

on the X1; 'open up the 4th chamber and, wow, what a ride'
--
bombholio